User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Slow on some devices...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is better to avoid using such high resolutions on smartphones, graphically it would be nice even with a much lower resolution, we are still talking about a small screen, I suggest you make two versions, one for PC and one for mobile with different resolutions
    https://community.clickteam.com/threads/107318-High-Resolution-Font-Lost-Quality-in-Downscaling/page3

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by janpier View Post
    It is better to avoid using such high resolutions on smartphones, graphically it would be nice even with a much lower resolution, we are still talking about a small screen, I suggest you make two versions, one for PC and one for mobile with different resolutions
    https://community.clickteam.com/threads/107318-High-Resolution-Font-Lost-Quality-in-Downscaling/page3
    I've tested and the graphics, resolution and number of actives on the screen has a minor effect on fps. The visuals do change their vibrance on lower resolutions.

I've managed multiplying the fps by 4 (!!!) just by optimizing the code and disabling unnecessary parts in real time, and I'm still at it, still have spots to spare many events from running. My guess is I could make this a solid 50-60fps game on low spec devices with the chosen resolution.

Your suggestion is harder then it sounds. Building 2 different versions would require changing the size of all graphic assets, and repositioning them in all frames. It's a few doezen hours of work...

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    yes is correct, but this font are not saved in the mfa they are added to the APK when building, they are reading from windows\fonts folder if the font is installed.

================================================== ==============

do me a favor please test this new object.

copy as it inside data/runtime/android

build and test specially in those device you get 60 FPS, unfortunately all my devices are stuck in 30 FPS

don't forget to make a copy of the original one, just in case.

BTW

It is difficult to compare yours against GardenXXXX game since is not a scrolling game and the texture are really small so there is no comparison.
    Attached files Attached files
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

... new things are coming ...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Fernando,

look at the magic trick occoured, little optimization (diabling water movement and events while out of water and vice verca, and disabling all the menus code while not in menu, also some more optimization regarding bad guys mainly) and your 30fps devices are now on solid 60fps :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fnkvoi4ue...vlnDK7dBa?dl=0

I will test your new object in a few minutes.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    surely it would be better to have a version optimized for mobile, the extra hours to resize the game would surely be spent, remember that when your users play your game on mobile they may have other applications active and may slow down your game and make you get low reviews . if you take a look at the statistics the new android version represents a small slice still (which will certainly grow), so many have phones from years ago that do not have the performance of current phones and many do not have top of the range .https://gs.statcounter.com/android-v...blet/worldwide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    surely it would be better to have a version optimized for mobile, the extra hours to resize the game would surely be spent, remember that when your users play your game on mobile they may have other applications active and may slow down your game and make you get low reviews . if you take a look at the statistics the new android version represents a small slice still (which will certainly grow), so many have phones from years ago that do not have the performance of current phones and many do not have top of the range .https://gs.statcounter.com/android-v...blet/worldwide
    I tested it with lower resolutions and it had a 1-3 fps effect. I test this on 6 differect devices from 4, 3, 2, and 1 year ago device launch time, Android versions 8-10. All my tests showed very little effect on performance when it comes to graphics - assets sizes, game resolution etc. The object's count doesn't go more then 1,300 which sums up to a maximum of 303mb - totally reasonable, with high resolution and graphics quality. All graphics passed through photoshop for slim png sizes, 8 bit colors, while maintaining visual sparkiness. When a game slows down in a 2d platform game - it's usually not the GPU struggling to keep up. The proccessor is the bottle neck in 2d games - even on mobiles.

Regarding memory, as stated the game maxes out with 303mb usage, which will not cause slow downs due to memory running low. Android knows how to dynamicaly handle app memory usage - pausing or closing background apps automatically. Other active application the user might have running will be terminated by Android before the game runs slow.

Let's take the oldest device I'm testing on - a 4 year old OnePlus 3T. This one was under use and not factory reset, so it's loaded with stuff and low on device memory - perfect device for testing.

I've tested low resolution - gained 1-3 fps boost (from 8-12 to 9-15, unplayable).

Then I went through the code and optimized - gained 22-48 fps boost (from 8-12 to 30 - 60).
    Still not a smooth experience but I'm only half way through optimizing. If I choose to aim at 30fps on mobiles, I'm practically done right now, but I wanna try boosting it a little higher before I give up on 60fps on mobiles.
    Playing around with resolutions and graphics is not the answer. Efficient code is the answer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
    yes is correct, but this font are not saved in the mfa they are added to the APK when building, they are reading from windows\fonts folder if the font is installed.

================================================== ==============

do me a favor please test this new object.

build and test specially in those device you get 60 FPS, unfortunately all my devices are stuck in 30 FPS

don't forget to make a copy of the original one, just in case.

BTW

It is difficult to compare yours against GardenXXXX game since is not a scrolling game and the texture are really small so there is no comparison.
    I do not have these files in data/runtime/android , am I pasting to the right place?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in my tests if I don't use 60fps and v sync the objects that scroll on the screen would have stuttering, I don't know what game you are doing, but you should be careful, especially with objects that have large dimensions. I also remember that after publishing a game on Android a while ago it suffered from slowdowns greater than a version installed via USB debugging. and on android you should be careful of excessive memory use, because not everyone has the connections they have for example in korea (303mb are not a few). maybe I will be forced to create two versions of the game with different resolutions (the images will have different sizes between the two versions then), this to work well on most devices and at the same time have good graphics, because using large objects dimensions surely I would have problems scrolling fast objects

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Please copy and do not extract

you should have is Platform.zip

================================================== =================

You are using big textures that some devices will not accept. In your development there are background of 6000 x 1440, where max handle by devices are 2048x2048, my suggestion for you, is to split them in an old fashion power of two 256x256, 512x512 and for sure it will preform better, this also apply for windows (even if a PC is way too faster than an android device)
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

... new things are coming ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in my tests if I don't use 60fps and v sync the objects that scroll on the screen would have stuttering, I don't know what game you are doing, but you should be careful, especially with objects that have large dimensions. I also remember that after publishing a game on Android a while ago it suffered from slowdowns greater than a version installed via USB debugging. and on android you should be careful of excessive memory use, because not everyone has the connections they have for example in korea (303mb are not a few). maybe I will be forced to create two versions of the game with different resolutions (the images will have different sizes between the two versions then), this to work well on most devices and at the same time have good graphics, because using large objects dimensions surely I would have problems scrolling fast objects
    The stuttering you get when not setting 60fps VSync is not due to bottle neck or a slow down. It's due to lack of VSync, and the solution is to... Use VSync. Stuttering can occour while playing PacMan on a high end PC with a 2080ti GPU, if the screen's refresh rate and the game's fps do not match. It's not even a stuttering, it's more of a "tear". It has nothing to do with actual performance. No mobile device from the past 6 years should have any issues scrolling large graphic objects, performance-wize.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll be sure to test the game on a variety of devices pre-release.
    Unlike you, I do not have the agenda of supporting and supplying top performance on all devices. I prefer giving a better gaming experience to the people with descent devices, and letting go on people with old, low end devices. I hardly care about "everyone". Eventually I can spend dozen of hours for two versions, and low end devices will slow down anyway due to the game's complexity, regardless of graphics downgrades and manipulations.

The graphics in my project are mostly 128x128 pixels, 8 bit color. Except the frame's background image, I don't have anything more then 300x300 I think.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast