User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Need some help testing FPS on different Android devices

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Mac Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)SWF Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok i test around now a bit and i know what is the issue, you have to many objects, if you look in the debugger there are always around 900 objects in the background task all the time, thats just to much for the andoid exporter.
    From my experience you should not have more than 200 objects (actives/backdrops) live in the renderer. Your levels are made by lot of small tiles and other objects powerups enemys etc are also sitting created in the background all the time, thats not working like that.
    I would make big image-pieces for ground, platforms, background etc. painted in you art program than export full finished and setup collision boxes for this images etc in fusion. And enemys, powerups etc create this dynamically when they come in viewport and destroy them afterwards etc.

I would also lower the resolution, 1440p widescreen is to much still.

But in general when you use a engine you should always make stress test for yourself to see what the engine can do and how you have to design things otherwise you run into big issues like that.
    Maybe also search around on the forum how to optimize for mobile, there are lot of nice tips and tricks already discussed.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Mac Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)SWF Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can also tell you there is nobody who can simple optimize your project, you have to change/redesign a lot, its not a small job, best you just do research and do it yourself. Good Luck Bro

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Ok i test around now a bit and i know what is the issue, you have to many objects, if you look in the debugger there are always around 900 objects in the background task all the time, thats just to much for the andoid exporter.
    From my experience you should not have more than 200 objects (actives/backdrops) live in the renderer. Your levels are made by lot of small tiles and other objects powerups enemys etc are also sitting created in the background all the time, thats not working like that.
    I would make big image-pieces for ground, platforms, background etc. painted in you art program than export full finished and setup collision boxes for this images etc in fusion. And enemys, powerups etc create this dynamically when they come in viewport and destroy them afterwards etc.

I would also lower the resolution, 1440p widescreen is to much still.

But in general when you use a engine you should always make stress test for yourself to see what the engine can do and how you have to design things otherwise you run into big issues like that.
    Maybe also search around on the forum how to optimize for mobile, there are lot of nice tips and tricks already discussed.
    I do have many objects. Fusion 2.5 limit is 30,000 objects, I have around 900. They're small and optimized (256 colors png's, mainly 128x128). The RAM usage on pc is around 250mb.
    You cannot make a sirious platformer game with 200 objects. You cannot make a sirious platformer game having a different object for each piece of platform. You have to use tiles, all platform games are built with tiles.

95% of objects are set to "Inactive when out of screen", plus I disable events for enemies that are not on screen (they do not move or collision checked when they're not on screen).
    It's not the number of objects, I've checked it.

Hit the menu button. 60fps on all devices. Why? 600 out of the 700 events are disabled, just the 100 events in charge of the menu are enabled.
    Same amount of objects with the menu on or off.

Why does the fps is good on most devices on the start of the level, and worse towards the end? Same amount of objects on the renderer.
    The end of the level has 5-6 enemies on the screen at once. Each enemy is checked for collision, moved on the X's, switch direction every few seconds - each one fires around 20 events while on screen, 6 of them are on the screen, 60 times a second.

This game used to run 8-10 fps on OnePlus 3T. Then I started doing optimization - enabling and disabling events according to the situation and what's on screen.
    Bumped up to 35-60 !!!

The number of events and actions running each frame (30 / 60 times a second) is the major performance hitter.
    It's not the resolution and not objects count.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello, I did other tests, now it goes from 26 to 30fps, but during certain actions it also drops to 20-21 for an instant (during the jumps in the water and out and when I was inside the bubble, I think after a jump). I'm not sure it's not due to the resolution, it seems to drop more than anything else during certain animations, and I think that the bigger these images of the animations are, the more likely they can cause the fps to drop in certain moments, I don't know. collisions never go off, they work even if a group is inactive

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by janpier View Post
    hello, I did other tests, now it goes from 26 to 30fps, but during certain actions it also drops to 20-21 for an instant (during the jumps in the water and out and when I was inside the bubble, I think after a jump). I'm not sure it's not due to the resolution, it seems to drop more than anything else during certain animations, and I think that the bigger these images of the animations are, the more likely they can cause the fps to drop in certain moments, I don't know. collisions never go off, they work even if a group is inactive
    Thanks for the update.
    You're probably talking about the new version, where you got limited to 30fps after the stress test, thus the game became much more playable for you.

ITS NOT THE RESOLUTION.
    Performance does not change if set to 1080p, I checked and Manual checked.
    It's nothing related to the graphics. Not animations, not number of objects, not file sizes or graphics sizes. Simply number of events and actions = project complexity.

Collisions do go off - not with the "inactive" property of Fusion, but manually by me. I do not check for collisions if an object is outside of screen.

If object is on screen
    ...check for collision
    ...move it
    ...do stuff

If it's not on screen, those events for that object are avoided.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from what I have read on this post collisions are always checked if the object exists or is at a certain range of action (but I have not understood how much this radius is), but as you can see from the discussion it could perhaps be due to the fact that you have many objects to which you may have assigned collision events which are verified until the collision occurs. you could ask @Volnaiskra
    https://community.clickteam.com/threads/101380-The-Clickteam-Fusion-2-5-optimisation-amp-performance-Hard-Data-thread/page6

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by janpier View Post
    from what I have read on this post collisions are always checked if the object exists or is at a certain range of action (but I have not understood how much this radius is), but as you can see from the discussion it could perhaps be due to the fact that you have many objects to which you may have assigned collision events which are verified until the collision occurs. you could ask @Volnaiskra
    https://community.clickteam.com/threads/101380-The-Clickteam-Fusion-2-5-optimisation-amp-performance-Hard-Data-thread/page6
    This post is reffering to the "inactive out of screen" property built into Fusion.

I've set this up MYSELF, MANUALLY WITH NESTED SUB-EVENTS as stated: If object on screen >> check collision.

I've made a new frame with 50 objects and get the same performance, so it's not the number of objects.
    I don't know if you read my replies but we have understood what's causing the performance, so no more need to suggest or guess

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can also tell you there is nobody who can simple optimize your project, you have to change/redesign a lot, its not a small job, best you just do research and do it yourself. Good Luck Bro
    I did, for the last 9 days I've been redesigning.
    For 9 days, I've been checking resolutions, graphics - all the things you've suggested to check, and checked yourself, with no success.
    I've been optimizing the code for the last 9 days and it has bumped the FPS on all devices to be 4 TIMES HIGHER.

The game is already, now, in the best (or near-best) optimized state it can get.

Why do you insist there's any "issue" at all in current state?
    Why is it not a simple matter of defining system requirements suitable for this project's complexity?
    Why is it not OK some projects will have system requirements, they will not be playable on some specs, why do I have to support mid and low range devices released 5-6 years ago?

The game runs 60fps on "young" devices, and I went through the trouble of designing a background stress test to force a 30fps version for older devices so it'll be playable on those as well, why do you two insist there's any "issue" to be "fixed"?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to disable events except the level generation, but made no difference, your events are also not that much and complex, they are not the issue.
    Reduced resolution to 1080p, made difference but still laging like hell.

I tell u its the object count, its too high. You can of course have more than 200 objects, but not live/created all the time, thats what i mean.
    Also Active-Objects are very heavy (animation, collision, movement, etc.) you should use them only when needed powerups, player, moving platforms, etc. for everything static use backdrop/quick-backdrop.
    Better is also use less objects but big ones, instead of building your whole level with small tiles.

You use tileset, ok than make it like this for example:

-Download tiled level editor -> https://www.mapeditor.org/
    -Make your level (ground, walls, static platforms, etc)
    -Export the level as single png image out from tiled
    -Load the big single image in your photo program, gimp, photoshop, or whatever you use
    -Cut it into pieces with power of two, like 512x512, 1024x1024
    -Load this pieces into fusion as backdrops and place the level back together
    -Make invisible backdrops/quick-backdrops (but not small tiles again, use decent size and scale them for your needs) to setup your collisions (ground, walls, static platforms, etc)
    -When your whole level is done test for performance, and only if thats ok then add the moving parts
    -Depending on the level performance you can then decide, for the moving parts (player, enemy, bosses, moving platforms, effects, etc) if you create them on start, or only in specific moments, or only if they are in the viewport, etc

Thats how i would do it at least.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to disable events except the level generation, but made no difference, your events are also not that much and complex, they are not the issue.
    Reduced resolution to 1080p, made difference but still laging like hell.

I tell u its the object count, its too high. You can of course have more than 200 objects, but not live/created all the time, thats what i mean.
    Also Active-Objects are very heavy (animation, collision, movement, etc.) you should use them only when needed powerups, player, moving platforms, etc. for everything static use backdrop/quick-backdrop.
    Better is also use less objects but big ones, instead of building your whole level with small tiles.

You use tileset, ok than make it like this for example:

-Download tiled level editor -> https://www.mapeditor.org/
    -Make your level (ground, walls, static platforms, etc)
    -Export the level as single png image out from tiled
    -Load the big single image in your photo program, gimp, photoshop, or whatever you use
    -Cut it into pieces with power of two, like 512x512, 1024x1024
    -Load this pieces into fusion as backdrops and place the level back together
    -Make invisible backdrops/quick-backdrops (but not small tiles again, use decent size and scale them for your needs) to setup your collisions (ground, walls, static platforms, etc)
    -When your whole level is done test for performance, and only if thats ok then add the moving parts
    -Depending on the level performance you can then decide, for the moving parts (player, enemy, bosses, moving platforms, effects, etc) if you create them on start, or only in specific moments, or only if they are in the viewport, etc

Thats how i would do it at least.
    Oh my god Manual that is SOOOOO weird!!! :-O
    I deleted events as well except level generation!!!!!!!!
    I got such different results :-O
    Please share your findings!

I took my least capable device, an old tablet, that performs the lowest.

My tests shows such a different result then yours!

With events:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCS8N7SeaJg

With most events deleted:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_mSFOBQfZs

Can you please share video / screenshot from your results so I can check this up?
    You have the two mfa's in the shared directory named "WithEvents.mfa" and "EventsDeleted.mfa", also 2 correspondent apk's.

Regarding some of your claims:

---I tell u its the object count, its too high. You can of course have more than 200 objects, but not live/created all the time, thats what i mean.

They are not live/created at all the times. Why would you say this?
    95% of them are set to "inactive out of frame", in addition - ALL moving actives stop moving and collision tests out of screen (image attached).
    Objects are not created AT ALL, unless for specific points in the game. Firing, getting into the water (splash effect), etc.
    Start the level and you'll see object count is 883, steady as a rock and stationary as hell.

---Also Active-Objects are very heavy (animation, collision, movement, etc.) you should use them only when needed powerups, player, moving platforms, etc. for everything static use backdrop/quick-backdrop.

I am using them only when needed.
    The actual platforms themselves are the only thing static and made of Active, and I cannot unfortunately make them a background object. Other things of the game interact with them, fires etc., Also I need their layering - They have to be above the Water for example.

You know what? I will try some tweaking that might make it possible for the platforms be backgrounds and not actives, I'll check how much that'll bump performance. You might be right about that one.
    Problem is other elements of the game interacts with the platforms (character firing mainly), and I have obstacle platforms and go-through platform, so I need to check if I can make them background, might not be possible...

---You use tileset, ok than make it like this for example:

What you suggest is impossible I'm afraid.
    Look, the first instructions level is around 30,000 x 4725 pixels.
    As the width of it is pretty much occupied with platforms all along, I would need an image sized 32,768‬ x 32,768‬ to replace all the little Actives with a single one (with the power of 2 applied).
    That's one gigantic image, just for the first level of the game, and around 25,000 pixels of it's height would be blank and unused.

I will have around 30 levels in the game, their size can go as high as x5 the first level, up to 150,000 pixel's width.

The game will have 30 Actives for each level, with 100,000's pixels per active, with a lot of blank pixels on the height going to waste as they're not needed.
    Game size will go from up to 100mb to at least 1G I reckon.
    Also, using 150,000 pixels active objects (262,144‬ x 262,144‬ with the power of 2) doesn't sound like good practice.
    I've checked on Google and it seems no one is making platform games with HUGE images, they all build it with tiles.

I will try to make all static platforms background as said instead of actives and update.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast