User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Need some help testing FPS on different Android devices

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...
    Go-Through platforms would still have to remain active objects anyway :-/
    I'm afraid I can't make platforms background due to the interactions with them, and their layering.
    I'll try a little more but that might lead to a dead end.

Also, I kind'a proved it's the events and actions (=project's complexity) with those 2 videos and nothing graphics-related.

I will continue to optimize the code, and the 30fps version for stress test failure turned up to be a good idea, as it makes the game playable on most devices that can't handle the stress test.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFrezi View Post
    Hmm...
    Go-Through platforms would still have to remain active objects anyway :-/
    I'm afraid I can't make platforms background due to the interactions with them, and their layering.
    I'll try a little more but that might lead to a dead end.

Also, I kind'a proved it's the events and actions (=project's complexity) with those 2 videos and nothing graphics-related.

I will continue to optimize the code, and the 30fps version for stress test failure turned up to be a good idea, as it makes the game playable on most devices that can't handle the stress test.
    Ok I can make MANY of the OBSTACLE platforms (not the go-through ones) backgrounds... At least the ones not contacting the water (layering, above water).
    I could lower substaintly the number of actives that way. Let's see how it'll effect performance...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFrezi View Post
    Ok I can make MANY of the OBSTACLE platforms (not the go-through ones) backgrounds... At least the ones not contacting the water (layering, above water).
    I could lower substaintly the number of actives that way. Let's see how it'll effect performance...
    Nope, not possible because the way the character's bullets interact with platforms (It can change direction or just bounce occording to the place of impact - can't do that with background).

Manual, as shown on the videos attached a few message ago: same actives count, same graphics, same resolution,
    30fps vs 60fps with and without events and actions on a low end old device. The only thing that is changed is not graphics related at all: 60fps is with 50 events, 30 fps is with 700 events (around 300 disabled by game status and situation).

IT'S THE PROJECT'S COMPLEXITY, events and actions.
    It's natural that complexed projects will have system requirements.
    The best I could do is continue to try and optimize the code, nest more events to sub-events, and disable events when possible.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look I have tried in my game to eliminate all events that always occur. you have a group of events (I believe for the enemies, bapes movement) with the Always condition that seems to me to always activate other conditions, because on the Profiler they are very heavy, 4 events that arrive together at 3500ms, have you tried without them? then on the screen you see 50 objects, when I think you could use 25 of them, having the platform divided into many pieces to which you associate events when you could have a single platform with an event associated with it, maybe the longer ones divided into two. the example provided by Manuel seems perfect to me. even the rocks inside the earth are separate objects. more from what I understand with the translator your game could take up to 1 gb space, it is not a little, you could use a smaller resolution to save space and surely you would not have had quality problems with a fullhd resolution

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by janpier View Post
    look I have tried in my game to eliminate all events that always occur. you have a group of events (I believe for the enemies, bapes movement) with the Always condition that seems to me to always activate other conditions, because on the Profiler they are very heavy, 4 events that arrive together at 3500ms, have you tried without them? then on the screen you see 50 objects, when I think you could use 25 of them, having the platform divided into many pieces to which you associate events when you could have a single platform with an event associated with it, maybe the longer ones divided into two. the example provided by Manuel seems perfect to me. even the rocks inside the earth are separate objects. more from what I understand with the translator your game could take up to 1 gb space, it is not a little, you could use a smaller resolution to save space and surely you would not have had quality problems with a fullhd resolution
    Bapes movement checks the OnScreen flag first, which is set True for each bad guy that is on the screen, as you can see in the ForEach loop just before this: "ActivateBapes". Enemies out of the screen (with some margin) will have that flag False and the whole movement+collision-test will be avoided.
    When you see an "always" event, it does not always occur. Almost all events are grouped, and you can see I disable and enable complete groups of events (look for the "efficiency" comment in the events list).

The rocks inside the earth are background objects, these are not actives.

I will not use 150,000 x 150,000 or 250,000 x 250,000 pixels images on my project like you and Manuel are suggesting. If I would, changing a level means changing and editing the image, and I will not work with such enormous images.

My game is currently 35mb, it will go up to a 100mb, unless I'll use such big images as active objects.

I've provided 2 videos showing performance with the same sprites, actives, resolution and object count that run at 30-40fps and 60fps on a 7-year-old low end device, the only difference is that in the 60fps apk I've deleted almost all events.
    No events - easily 60fps. Same resolution and object count.

You keep pulling towards a gpu bottleneck. Changing resolution or anything graphics related does not change anything because graphically, the gpu does not struggle. It can handle 800-900 small objects moving around the screen. It can handle 1440p. The cpu is struggling performing 400-500 events with their actions 60 times a second. Lowering that to 400-500 events with their actions 30 times a second, and the cpu of many low end devices can handle it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when I talked about the resolution I was referring to the space occupied, since you said up to 100mb up to 1gb. as for the enemies, from what I understand the event is activated when they are visible in the window, therefore often, and those events according to the profiler their execution time is very high, considering that those events reach 70% of total use of the events, I almost reached 11000 ms. . I just tested on my wiko ufeel prime phone and as I imagined, those few events made a huge difference, I went from 30 fps fairly stable to 54 fps fairly stable, a huge difference. then why making single images you should increase the frame? the tiles united in a single image have the same size, I don't understand what you mean

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when I talked about the resolution I was referring to the space occupied, since you said up to 100mb up to 1gb. as for the enemies, from what I understand the event is activated when they are visible in the window, therefore often, and those events according to the profiler their execution time is very high, considering that those events reach 70% of total use of the events, I almost reached 11000 ms. . I just tested on my wiko ufeel prime phone and as I imagined, those few events made a huge difference, I went from 30 fps fairly stable to 54 fps fairly stable, a huge difference. then why making single images you should increase the frame? the tiles united in a single image have the same size, I don't understand what you mean
    Well, that's a bit of an issue, because the bad guys in my game HAS TO move, even if it takes resources.
    And yes, any one of them that is on the screen has to move and collision-checked, so more bad guys on the screen means a lot more resources.
    You can see a very direct connection between the performance and the number of bad guys on screen, moving and polled for collisions. There's nothing I can do about it. I can design the game so the bad guys are scattered and spread more so I don't get more then 1 or 2 on screen at the same time, but then the game becomes a lot less challenging.

I have no better way of optimizing this then saying: "If it's not on screen, don't move it or check for collisions". It's the best I could do.
    Typing these lines I noticed I check for bad-guys and main-character collision outside this events brunch, maybe I can save a few points of horse power there ;-D

I now understand what you mean by having platforms as 1 image.
    I will have many platforms of many kinds and lengths in the game (which is pretty much standard for a platformer). I would need different graphics, images and active objects for platforms width 200 pixels, 400 pixels, 850 pixels and 1500 pixels etc. With tiles I can "tape togather" any length of platform I want. This would effect immensely the overall weight of the game.
    Also, this is THE STANDARD APPROACH - platform games are built using tiles. I did not "invent" this, this is how it's usually done.
    Look up photos of platform game design edit on google, and you'll get images like these:

https://assetstorev1-prd-cdn.unity3d...70ab2c201.webp
    https://img.craftpix.net/2019/08/Sea...e-Tileset4.jpg

Besides, as we've established, it's not the objects count that causes the performance to drop, so why would I, I will gain not much of a performance boost.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, it was to know. however I would make a "pinball" movement for the enemies, your enemies move like balls stuck on the platforms, I would add two walls on the sides of the platforms (first and last tile of each platform) that makes the enemy bounce or change direction, without this going out, obviously the walls would place them on another layer. these small walls would move like platforms. doing so there should be no problem

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, it was to know. however I would make a "pinball" movement for the enemies, your enemies move like balls stuck on the platforms, I would add two walls on the sides of the platforms (first and last tile of each platform) that makes the enemy bounce or change direction, without this going out, obviously the walls would place them on another layer. these small walls would move like platforms. doing so there should be no problem
    There are already "invisible walls" at the end of each platform to change the bad guys direction.
    This is an interesting idea, pinball movement would give them the same movement and might be a lot more efficient then moving them X pixels every frame...
    I'll give that a try.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has improved performance immensely !
    I suppose a lot more devices could enjoy the 60fps version now thanks to that.
    Still, old devices are better off at 30fps as it tends to slow down sometimes.

It seems built in movements are a lot more efficient then writing movements on your own. Thanks for that!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast