User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some help testing FPS on different Android devices

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some help testing FPS on different Android devices

I'd really appreciate it if you could download this, test the fps on this demo level (stated on top right corner) on your Android device, and let me know, please.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fnkvoi4ue...vlnDK7dBa?dl=0

Please also write down which device this is, and Android version if possible.

I'm thinking about lowering the game to 30fps on Android and fixing all movements parameters to have the same movement as this 60fps version :-(

Many thanks!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it opens with a white screen and a little black dot ... then after a while it opens the game where there is a purple character that I can jump onto the first platform and from there I don't have a clue what I'm meant to do next or what all the arrows in the game mean or anything else. So it's impossible to test further. The number - assuming its fps - displaying next to the home button - runs between 7 and 8 on start-up then idles from 20 - 24 until I press something, then it hovers around the lower 20s

And there's no way to exit the game.

Obscure house brand tablet with about 1 gig ram and Android 4.4.2 - You would have to put your minimum specs higher than that.

On my Huawei cell phone - which is about 3 gig ram and Android 8 - it runs 58+ fps - but I still don't know what to do or how to get past the first jump - there again I don't play platform games.

All my games work on my tablets with this provision: If there's movement I leave it at 60fps - else the movement is choppy. If there's no movement I run them at 30 fps and they work great there.

Games with a lot of timers - more than 10 and movement are slow - but they're playable - they just play slower on my tablets than on my phone - but then the person playing it won't know that it's running slow - because it still runs smoothly. (I' stopped using timers and use a value countdown instead.)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janette5 View Post
    Well it opens with a white screen and a little black dot ... then after a while it opens the game where there is a purple character that I can jump onto the first platform and from there I don't have a clue what I'm meant to do next or what all the arrows in the game mean or anything else. So it's impossible to test further. The number - assuming its fps - displaying next to the home button - runs between 7 and 8 on start-up then idles from 20 - 24 until I press something, then it hovers around the lower 20s

And there's no way to exit the game.

Obscure house brand tablet with about 1 gig ram and Android 4.4.2 - You would have to put your minimum specs higher than that.

On my Huawei cell phone - which is about 3 gig ram and Android 8 - it runs 58+ fps - but I still don't know what to do or how to get past the first jump - there again I don't play platform games.

All my games work on my tablets with this provision: If there's movement I leave it at 60fps - else the movement is choppy. If there's no movement I run them at 30 fps and they work great there.

Games with a lot of timers - more than 10 and movement are slow - but they're playable - they just play slower on my tablets than on my phone - but then the person playing it won't know that it's running slow - because it still runs smoothly. (I' stopped using timers and use a value countdown instead.)
    First of all, thank you!

It's a work in progress. I'm sorry if my message set you up for a working prototype, but this stage is 100% playable, around 3-4 minutes of full first level.

To continue after the first platform, you're supposed to jump to the second platform by holding jump longer - and jump further by that.
    I'll make that a little more obvious.

Further down the level you have platforms with 5-6 bad guys on screen at one time, this is an interesting part.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can get as far as the double jump - it runs really slow - 15 - 18 fps - the scrolling practically never stops - it would make me seasick. I got as far as the double jump - and then I couldn't get further - it didn't work - I guess there just wasn't enough memory or my lack of skill in platform games meant that I was stuck there - tried several times - managed the first double jump once only - then never again.

Definitely this game is not playable on slow devices and even changing it to 30 fps won't help - because it's not getting close to that.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried it on my wiko ufeel prime (4 core x 1.4ghz and 4core x 1.1ghz, 4gb ram). it usually goes from 35 to 54 fps, but arrived in the water and dropped to 24

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I will make a 30fps version for slower devices.

I have no way to make this playable on really old devices with Android 4 like yours Janette5 (these are not exactly machines suitable for gaming of any kind, 6-7 year old devices), but a 30fps version will make this pretty playable and enjoyable on your device Janpier.

I can switch between the 2 versions seamlessly after a background load test, as a 60fps version is also good for most devices from the last 2 years.

From all the devices I've tested I've come to the following conclusion - the RAM memory and GPU is not the bottleneck. The CPU is the one that is responsible for how this game runs. Janpier your Snapdragon 430 processor drops it to the 30's, and indeed, Snapdragon 8xx series runs this game with twice the fps on load times, thus allowing the 60fps version to be playable.

I'm sure the Android 4 tablet has a very slow processor as well.

Janette I would love to know what Huawei phone this is exactly, and can you verify it stays above the 50's throughout the level...? The load is towards the end of the level where you have 5-6 bad guys on screen at once :-*

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the ram will not be a problem with this game (even if on my wiko a 58mb app has come to get 80-90), yes in this game you have to heal more than anything else the cpu, mine is not the best, but anyway you can play. android 4.4 is too old, from version 6 some devices you could consider it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by janpier View Post
    I tried it on my wiko ufeel prime (4 core x 1.4ghz and 4core x 1.1ghz, 4gb ram). it usually goes from 35 to 54 fps, but arrived in the water and dropped to 24
    Was that 24 FPS drop in the water just for a brief moment, or permanent throughout the water?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I can't test your game to when all your baddies arrive - because I can't play the game that far (fortunately, I'm not your target market).

I think you'd waste your time making 2 versions and you could probably solve all your problems by having a version with just a plain black background instead of the two backgrounds and the effects. It looks pretty, but if you're concentrating on the game, they become "invisible" and you're taking a massive performance hit because of that. Beyond that, unless you're doing some very strange things with your coding, there's nothing that should make your fps drop like that. Running and jumping and scrolling doesn't drop the performance like that. Also make sure things are disabled when they're not on screen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janette5 View Post
    Sorry, I can't test your game to when all your baddies arrive - because I can't play the game that far (fortunately, I'm not your target market).

I think you'd waste your time making 2 versions and you could probably solve all your problems by having a version with just a plain black background instead of the two backgrounds and the effects. It looks pretty, but if you're concentrating on the game, they become "invisible" and you're taking a massive performance hit because of that. Beyond that, unless you're doing some very strange things with your coding, there's nothing that should make your fps drop like that. Running and jumping and scrolling doesn't drop the performance like that. Also make sure things are disabled when they're not on screen.
    Removing the background images has practically no effect what so ever on the performance. No massive performance hit there. These images are not that big, their color pallet is 256 colors and they're scaled up, they're not that big originally.

Thanks anyway pal.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast