User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some help testing FPS on different Android devices

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janette5 View Post
    Sorry, I can't test your game to when all your baddies arrive - because I can't play the game that far (fortunately, I'm not your target market).

I think you'd waste your time making 2 versions and you could probably solve all your problems by having a version with just a plain black background instead of the two backgrounds and the effects. It looks pretty, but if you're concentrating on the game, they become "invisible" and you're taking a massive performance hit because of that. Beyond that, unless you're doing some very strange things with your coding, there's nothing that should make your fps drop like that. Running and jumping and scrolling doesn't drop the performance like that. Also make sure things are disabled when they're not on screen.
    It's not actually making 2 different versions.
    It's already done.

I'm just running a stress test upon first launch of the game. If the stress test fails and a dummy level running in the background goes lower then 50 fps, the game switches to 30fps and changes movement paramateres and speeds to adjust accordingly and produce the same gameplay with the new frame rate.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Mac Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)SWF Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @CrazyFrezi your issue is the viewport resolution is too high. It should no be higher than ~1080p. Even when you make simple 2d games, high resolution like 3k, 4k is way to taxing even for modern high end phones, especially in games where you have lot of moving objects (space shooter, platformer, endless runner, etc.). And thats not because fusion, you will have this in any engine for sure.

I made some tech demo some time ago with the pmo, height is 1200 pixels and width will be adjusted to the device size(width), so its kind of in the 1080p area. Test it out and you will see it works fine.

Other thing to consider is opengl es2.0 is most used renderer on android still today and this has max_texture_size 2048x2048, i dont know how big your background images are but on high res like 3k 4k is for sure to high and will not work on most devices and show only blackscreen.

Also i dont wanna shutter your dreams but nobody plays your game on 30fps or even less nowerdays, 60fps or nothing thats a fact.
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    @CrazyFrezi your issue is the viewport resolution is too high. It should no be higher than ~1080p. Even when you make simple 2d games, high resolution like 3k, 4k is way to taxing even for modern high end phones, especially in games where you have lot of moving objects (space shooter, platformer, endless runner, etc.). And thats not because fusion, you will have this in any engine for sure.

I made some tech demo some time ago with the pmo, height is 1200 pixels and width will be adjusted to the device size(width), so its kind of in the 1080p area. Test it out and you will see it works fine.

Other thing to consider is opengl es2.0 is most used renderer on android still today and this has max_texture_size 2048x2048, i dont know how big your background images are but on high res like 3k 4k is for sure to high and will not work on most devices and show only blackscreen.

Also i dont wanna shutter your dreams but nobody plays your game on 30fps or even less nowerdays, 60fps or nothing thats a fact.

Tested my game on 1080p - performance stays exactly the same on all my test devices. It's not the viewport.

You tech demo has 49 events. Mine has over 700 events (with many of them enabling and disabling on runtime as needed).

Mine has 9 pickups (life, fire, muscle, bubble, double jump, coin, golden coin, key, chest), 9 kinds of bad guys - (for each bad guy I have unique behaviors and movements), and 2 character movements (platform and 8 direction for under water). It works fine for every descent device that was released on the last 4 years or so, I'm including a 30fps version to have mid-range devices that are 6 years old or so be able to play.

Many games to this very date on Xbox and Playstation consules are running at 30fps (image attached). Many many many Android games, some successful ones as well, are capped at 30fps.

My test users found the game enjoyable on 30fps. Heck, many of them didn't even noticed any difference when I gave them my device for 60fps gameplay.

The background images are small both file size and actual size - they are 256 colors png scaled up by quiet alot. Their original size is 1334 x 750.

I'm willing to send you my mfa for your review. If you can improve performance by tweaking, that'll be awesome.
    Images attachées Images attachées

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Mac Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)SWF Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Show the mfa file.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    btw game's resolution is 1440p. Not 2K, not 3K, not 4K. it's QHD with a near 2:1 ratio.

There you go, mfa is here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fnkvoi4ue...vlnDK7dBa?dl=0

If you can make big performance improvements, I won't be just grateful, I will reward you.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhere in your code you limit the fps to 30 in android, where is the code i dont find it, your project is very big!? Tell me the line or remove the fps limit and republish your mfa so the game runs in real fps on andoid always.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhere in your code you limit the fps to 30 in android, where is the code i dont find it, your project is very big!? Tell me the line or remove the fps limit and republish your mfa so the game runs in real fps on andoid always.

I do not limit it to 30fps in Android.

I run a stress test upon first launch. If you pass a busy level (in the background) with 50fps or higher for 7 seconds, you'll stay on 60fps. If your fps drops below 50fps on this 7 seconds test that runs only on the first launch of the game, you'll go to 30fps limit. The code is on the MainMenu frame (first frame), line 3. You can remove the "set frame rate 30" there. Just clean app cache before re-testing because this 30fps limit is written to an INI.

Here is a screenshot from my Google Pixel 4xl, that goes through the stress test with a breeze and keeps the game on 60fps (other devices tested that stays on 60fps: OnePlus 5T, Samsung S8).
    Images attachées Images attachées

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the other hand, I've a OnePlus 3T that I'm testing on that does not pass the stress test, limits to 30fps, and is fun and playable that way (on 60fps it's horrible on this device).

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you do, but i found it already its in the mainmenu frame code where you set fps to 30, now the game runs most of the time in 60 fps on my devices but still lot of frame drops because the resolution is to high, i try to optimize it now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you do, but i found it already its in the mainmenu frame code where you set fps to 30, now the game runs most of the time in 60 fps on my devices but still lot of frame drops because the resolution is to high, i try to optimize it now.
    I run a stress test upon first launch. If you pass a busy level (frame name is "stress test") with 50fps or higher for 7 seconds, you'll stay on 60fps. If your fps drops below 50fps on this 7 seconds test that runs only on the first launch of the game, you'll go to 30fps limit - if you pass the test the 30fps limit is not executed.

High end devices pass the test and are not limited to 60fps. Any device with a Snapdragon 8xx passes the test, stays on 60fps, and there are no frame drops on these devices, they run the game smoothly 60fps.

My wife's Pixel 3a (Snapdradon 670) passes the test and stays on 60fps, the 30fps limit is not executed on her device as well.

Make sure to clean app cache before re-testing because this 30fps limit is written to an INI.

I think the issue is not the resolution. I think it's the complexity of the project (I went through events and optimized for 8 days, nesting events to sub-events, checking for objects that are on or out of the screen, etc), lower end processors are struggling running it 60 times a second.

If I'm mistaken and you can optimize it, you're a godamn king.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast