User Tag List

Thread: Back to making a game...

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to making a game...

A while back I once started making a game here. Life got in the way. However I came back and played in my spare time with 2.5. I've got something that doesn't work fully but looks promising. And I've a few questions to finalize how to do things if anyone has ideas and is willing I would be grateful for helping we figure out what's left before selling, I have art coming too. Paid and being done. As I do feel like taking this one all the way.

I've called it project asteria for now, And the below is a sneak screenshots at some of the game.

present.jpg

One thing I've tried to do is find a way to have a combo box but with a custom look. anyone got examples. I figured out lists but not combo boxes.

And I hope anything else I need to figure out I can get help with in here if need be.

I just thought it was time I got active here since I'm getting serious about this as a hobby again. Maybe even my future. It's the one joy I have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone also know if there is a topic on fonts and use of custom ones. I assume I'm going to need my own? since I plan to sell this game.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use free font, check licence when you download your font.
    Or using Google/Windows font, like Noto, a free Google font use who support a lot of langages.

Clicker Android Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest implementing your own checkbox and giving them a qualifier, so that they all share the same behaviour. And you can implement any visuals you want in this qualifier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    You can use free font, check licence when you download your font.
    Or using Google/Windows font, like Noto, a free Google font use who support a lot of langages.
    I had not thought about the font style and language changes and how that may affect aesthetics. Glad you triggered that thought. And ty for the comment. It helps.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some thoughts about fonts:

Prioritise readability over aesthetics. The font in your screenshots looks nice, and aesthetically fits with the ye olde world feel of some of the other elements (wood, old maps, etc,), but players will tire of reading such cursive, highly italicised text sooner than they would if it were a simple sans serif font. You want your font to look professional but - for body text and UI - you also ultimately want it to be basically invisible, so the player can focus on the content expressed by the words, not the words themselves. You can use a beautiful, more ornamental font for things like titles and headings though.

It can be worth getting a professional font. There is so much work that goes into making a really high quality font that any font author who has put in that work is unlikely to then give out the font for free (unless it's made and released for free by a big company like Microsoft or Google). Don't get me wrong, if you've found a free font that looks great in your game, it's ok to use it. But there can be some not-so-obvious benefits to meticulously constructed paid fonts, such as better kerning with certain character combinations, better scaling at multiple sizes, or better support for extended characters that you might need down the line (whether it's other Latin-based letters like ąęćśźłˇńż, non-Latin characters like Cyrillic, or just characters like ~/{&% that have been properly sized and kerned).

Professional fonts are usually hugely expensive. However, if you subscribe to email newsletters from places like Design Cuts or Myfonts.com they'll often let you know about massively discounted bundles (these are one of the few email newsletters I'm actually glad I subscribed to). For example, here's one from Design Cuts that came into my inbox just today, which offers a bunch of fonts for 99% off:

One more thing: TTF fonts are generally best in Fusion. In my experience, OTF fonts don't render as well in dx9 mode. And they don't work at all in dx11 mode. If you find an OTF font you love, there are free tools available that can convert it to TTF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volnaiskra View Post
    I have some thoughts about fonts:

Prioritise readability over aesthetics. The font in your screenshots looks nice, and aesthetically fits with the ye olde world feel of some of the other elements (wood, old maps, etc,), but players will tire of reading such cursive, highly italicised text sooner than they would if it were a simple sans serif font. You want your font to look professional but - for body text and UI - you also ultimately want it to be basically invisible, so the player can focus on the content expressed by the words, not the words themselves. You can use a beautiful, more ornamental font for things like titles and headings though.

It can be worth getting a professional font. There is so much work that goes into making a really high quality font that any font author who has put in that work is unlikely to then give out the font for free (unless it's made and released for free by a big company like Microsoft or Google). Don't get me wrong, if you've found a free font that looks great in your game, it's ok to use it. But there can be some not-so-obvious benefits to meticulously constructed paid fonts, such as better kerning with certain character combinations, better scaling at multiple sizes, or better support for extended characters that you might need down the line (whether it's other Latin-based letters like ąęćśźłˇńż, non-Latin characters like Cyrillic, or just characters like ~/{&% that have been properly sized and kerned).

Professional fonts are usually hugely expensive. However, if you subscribe to email newsletters from places like Design Cuts or Myfonts.com they'll often let you know about massively discounted bundles (these are one of the few email newsletters I'm actually glad I subscribed to). For example, here's one from Design Cuts that came into my inbox just today, which offers a bunch of fonts for 99% off:

One more thing: TTF fonts are generally best in Fusion. In my experience, OTF fonts don't render as well in dx9 mode. And they don't work at all in dx11 mode. If you find an OTF font you love, there are free tools available that can convert it to TTF.
    Great info thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonyjacob View Post
    I'd suggest implementing your own checkbox and giving them a qualifier, so that they all share the same behaviour. And you can implement any visuals you want in this qualifier.
    For options and settings etc? This was my plan for these? I partially did this on another project before so it worked well for saving to an ini. this time I'm so happy I can do it all. I may need to get one of you here to help me iron out some list items bugs. Ranting on here. Sorry Passionate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I had something come up in thought that I need to check. No where better to ask than here. I have been using some effects on my UI items. Specifically a grain effect. But when I tested it on my friends he had no such effect in his editor. So I assume I picked this up from third party piece I downloaded last time I made a game. Does anyone have some input on who might own these effects. As I would hate to be not giving credit where credit is due. Or paying my due if required.