User Tag List

Thread: Understanding MFA vs EXE file sizes

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Understanding MFA vs EXE file sizes

My MFA project file is currently 875MB and when I build the Windows executable (Direct3D9 in 2.5+ for shader compatibility) both the uncompressed and compressed .exe's are exactly 1GB in size. I only have some extensions, a handful of shaders and a couple TTF fonts that are built into the exe - no other binary data that the MFA itself wouldn't hold. I am using the "Optimize image size in RAM" option.

I know Fusion has a 2GB file size limit, so I'm concerned that I may hit that by the time I finish this project even though I'm optimizing like crazy with the power of 2 for images, etc. I'm trying to understand the jump in 125MB from MFA to EXE.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If "Optimize image size in RAM" is selected Fusion will use a different compression algorithm that may increase a bit the disk size.

TTF fonts can be big, check their size.

Also check the size of the extensions you use, though usually each extension is less than 500 Kb.

>> no other binary data that the MFA itself wouldn't hold.

Not sure exactly what this means. The files in the Binary Data tab are not included in the MFA.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I think the 2GB limit is for ram usage, not file size...

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NaitorStudios View Post
    Also, I think the 2GB limit is for ram usage, not file size...
    No it's file size. RAM limit is about 3.5 Gb.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Yves
    I just meant that I'm not bundling any items in the exe that isn't already in the mfa that would inflate it that much. I made a build without the Optimize Image Size in RAM option and it was 847MB, as opposed to the previous 1GB that did use this option. I'll keep this in mind for the future.
    Out of curiosity, is the 2GB file size limit a hard limit? For example, if the EXE would be 1.9GB without Optimize Image Size in RAM, but 2.1GB with the option, would Fusion fail to build if it exceeds the 2GB limit because of the optimization option?

@NaitorStudios
    Yves confirmed the 2GB file size limit in this thread. https://community.clickteam.com/threads/107355-2-GB-memory-limit?highlight=2GB+LIMIT

EDIT: Yves replied before me.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piscesdreams View Post
    @Yves
    Out of curiosity, is the 2GB file size limit a hard limit? For example, if the EXE would be 1.9GB without Optimize Image Size in RAM, but 2.1GB with the option, would Fusion fail to build if it exceeds the 2GB limit because of the optimization option?
    I think the problem is not at build time, it's more probably at runtime. I've fixed one of the problems in 2-Gb EXE files, I think there is still one that is more complicated to fix however it might affect only embedded file handling (the files in the Binary Data tab in the Data Elements editor) in specific objects like Active Picture. Not 100% sure. I *think* I could either fix it, or find some workaround, but I'll do it only if someone really needs it. I've never seen a MFA / EXE that is more than 1 Gb yet, it's pretty rare.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Yves. We still have a ways to go on our game. I don't *think* we will hit 2GB after full blown optimization, but we are definitely going to surpass 1GB in both MFA and EXE. Realistically, I think 1.5-1.7GB is a realistic file size we will end up with. We're not using anything in embedded files, other than the font. We do use a few external videos in the Active Direct Show object, but those are not embedded.

I guess if we see that we're hitting 2GB I can touch base.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably know this already, but don't forget that you can load some of your graphics externally at runtime:

I've found this to be a great method to use during development, as it makes tweaking graphics much quicker - you just put the PNG files in the right folder and don't need to worry about importing them into Fusion's graphics editor. If you ever hit the 2GB limit, you could always save some space in the EXE by doing this in your released version too, with some of your heavier assets.

The potential downside is that any external PNGs you ship your game with will obviously be very easy to steal/modify. But then a hacker could probably pull your graphics from an EXE if they wanted to anyway.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Volnaiskra. Once we add in cutscenes and cutout portraits, I may go that route. You’re right, if people really want the images they can probably easily get it.

I imagine best practice would to be load externally what you need at the start of the frame so it’s available as needed.