User Tag List

Thread: Disabling a SteamWorks object for non-steam release?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Disabling a SteamWorks object for non-steam release?

I've successfully added Steamworks object and implemented Steam achievements in my game.
    However, I'm also selling the game via Itch.io and I don't need my Steamworks object to work at all for the itchio build. Is there a convenient way to completely disable Steamworks object when I'm making non-steam build?
    I've tried making an "on start delete Steamworks object" event, but it seems like it's still working (I don't know if that's because I have steam installed and turned on on my PC).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure that your non-steam version has alternative events that disable visual references to steam functionality if steam isn’t detected, the events won’t do anything if it’s not so don’t worry about it. And yes, you need to close steam down if you don’t want it to be detected, for total separation you may want to disable all events manually in itch.io builds.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elvisish View Post
    Just make sure that your non-steam version has alternative events that disable visual references to steam functionality if steam isn’t detected, the events won’t do anything if it’s not so don’t worry about it. And yes, you need to close steam down if you don’t want it to be detected, for total separation you may want to disable all events manually in itch.io builds.
    The problem with that is that Steam pop-up at the start even if all events are disabled and there is an event "On Start of Frame Destroy Steamworks Object". So yes - technically the player will not get the achievements if I will disable the events, but he will still see that Steam object IS THERE because steam pop-up will initiate no matter what. And this is a bad practice, in my opinion. No one should see Steam appear if they did not buy the game from steam.

Screenshot_4.jpg

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure the object communicates with steam if you have absolutely no steam events? I’m pretty sure it needs to be told to communicate with it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience you actually need to remove the Steamworks extension completetly before building to avoid this behaviour. Deleting the extension during gameplay or having no active Steam events won't cut it. A disable feature woud be very appreciated for a future update of the extension though. I also find it kind of tedious having to remove the thing for every build that needs to be distributed outside Steam.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian82 View Post
    In my experience you actually need to remove the Steamworks extension completetly before building to avoid this behaviour. Deleting the extension during gameplay or having no active Steam events won't cut it. A disable feature woud be very appreciated for a future update of the extension though. I also find it kind of tedious having to remove the thing for every build that needs to be distributed outside Steam.
    That's exactly the problem I was speaking of. Hope someone from Click team will find this out and figure a way to manually disable the Steamworks object.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I ran into that issue myself and even made a global event to delete the object but that didn't cut it. Then I forgot I made that event and started pulling my hair out as to why I couldn't get Workshop uploads going. ��*♂️

I would love an option to just not include extensions with a build and then Fusion essentially comments out all their lines. Would help greatly with cross-platform compatibility and avoid issues like having to remove Steamworks for non-Steam builds.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for posting again, but I would really like to see any comments from the Devs. Do you plan on adding some kind of enable/disable option for Steamworks object soon?

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegd View Post
    Sorry for posting again, but I would really like to see any comments from the Devs. Do you plan on adding some kind of enable/disable option for Steamworks object soon?
    We can take a look eventually. In the meantime, a workaround would be to remove or rename the Steamworks MFX file in Data/Runtime/Unicode just before you build your non-Steam version. You could make a batch file for this.