User Tag List

Thread: Can you import parts of a large image (Not a tile set)?

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export Module

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you import parts of a large image (Not a tile set)?

Hey!

I was toying with the idea of keeping all my interior graphics external in one large image file and then load the various rooms at runtime. The rooms will never have the same size so i can't really do a tile set. Let's say I have an image that's 20000*20000 in size (Or whatever) Is it possible to do something like "Load image at x y coordinates"? If not...it would be a cool feature to have

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few options here:

Break the image down into manageable chunks, like 500x500 pixels each, then load each chunk as an animation frame. Run a fast loop the same number of times as the number of chunks, and set their position and animation frame based on the loop index.
    Alternately, keep the chunks external and just have blank frames for the animation. Then you can load the frames via external files (under the animation events on the active) and if you load them by expression you can make it dynamic and never have to bake the images into the game. You will have to distribute the pictures with the game though.

Either way, try using Row and Column values on the chunk active to keep track of which image is which.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Yeah that's kind of what I'm already doing. I was hoping i wouldn't have to keep several external image files. I wanted to keep everything in one large image. If the player character's home for example is at 0 to 450 X and 0 to 400 y in that image i would want to load only that range even if the image itself would be 20000 * 20000. Oh well no big deal really but I like to have the lowest amount of files as possible :-D

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience you're better off having lots of files and a very nice folder structure that you can easily access, rather than baking everything into the game. You'll reduce your game's load time, file size, and RAM requirements significantly by doing so, not to mention open up some minor modding possibilities if you're interested in that. It's wins all around.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i'm used to have a crapload of external files anyway so I guess I'll keep doing things that way :-)