User Tag List

Thread: First time uploading app to Google Play Developer Console

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time uploading app to Google Play Developer Console

I've been following the Android IAP Definitive Guide (thank you very much for making it!) and trying to test in-app purchases for my Android application, but when it comes to the Google Play Developer Console, I'm unsure which track to use -- internal/closed/open/production, alpha/beta.

So what I tried was uploading my app in the internal test track, filling in all the necessary info as far as content rating, etc., and once I completed it the Console said it would take approximately 7 days or more for Google to review my app -- which I thought was odd because I thought the internal test track was supposed to be fast and sort of bypass the Google approval process, allowing me to tinker internally (using two separate Google accounts) without my app being publicly available.

Because of that, I thought I'd try reuploading it on the Closed Alpha track, in case that was the thing to do, but in my ignorance I think I may have accidentally put it on the Production track. (I'm attaching a photo below of my "App releases" section.) So I'm thinking the Console is now treating my app as if I'm trying to publish it publicly, when all I want to do is to test my app "talking" to Google, like the PDF shows.

In short, I don't really know what I'm doing here and could use some guidance! I'd be happy to start from scratch here, if I knew how to delete/deactivate my Console upload. Any help would be appreciated!

Capture-GooglePlayDeveloperConsole.JPG

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your screenshot shows that you have it in the production track - which will make it available to everyone. When you delete it from there - also remember to delete it from your Artifact Library, else you can't upload it again with the same version number.

To test it, you need it in the Internal test track

From Google Play:

When you create an internal test, you release your app immediately to your internal testers. This can help you identify issues and receive feedback earlier in your development process. An internal test is:

• Fast: You can distribute apps via the internal test track much faster than the open or closed tracks. When you publish a new APK or app bundle to the internal test track, it will be available to testers within a few minutes.
      • Note: If you're publishing an app for the first time, it may take up to 48 hours for your app's internal test to be available.

• Flexible: An internal test can be adjusted to support different testing stages, including internal testing, quality assurance checks, and post-launch debugging.
    • Safe: With the internal test track, your test app is distributed to users via the Play Store.
    If your game targets children - or is likely to target children - then Google Play reviews it - and that they've been putting a banner ad on to state it will take more than 7 days. I've not published or updated anything in the past few months so I'm not sure what their actual time frame is - that's just the time they allow themselves.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Internal test track sounds like just what I need! Do you know if I need to wait the 7 days (or however long Google takes) before I'm able to delete or deactivate my app from the production track? Right now I don't see any option to delete or deactivate. FWIW I believe I currently have it in BOTH the internal test track and production track, due to my ignorance.

One idea -- would it make any sense for me to just reupload my app by creating a new application in the Console, this time only putting it on the internal test track? And then separately once Google reviews the old application I can just remove the old application? Or would that only complicate things?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well first check if the .apk in production is submitted because if you've added it, it will stay there until you press the submit button - but until you do submit it - you can still freely amend it or delete it.

If it is submitted, from your dashboard - go to Store Presence - Pricing and Distribution - the click the button UNPUBLISH.

If you have used a specific name for your game (package name) then you can't use that name again for a different app. So if you want to publish a new game - it would need to have a new name.

Also if the one in production is submitted, then just upload a new app into the test channel with a higher version number.

There's a setting that Google can send you an email when an app is live - and if they do approve it and it's live before you want it to go live, you can unpublish it very quickly.

But also, if you're not marketing it, the chances of people noticing it are very slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, great info! Judging by my screenshot below from Store Presence - Pricing and Distribution, since I don't see an option for unpublish, I'm suspecting I have submitted the app and that it's still under review, and that the unpublish option will show once the review process is completed by Google. If so, I'm thinking I can then delete/unpublish once the review process is over. And yes, you're right that it's highly unlikely anyone is going to see the app anyway right now.

My plan now is to change my package name and upload that to the Console under the internal test track. For the benefit of future users, I'll try to follow up on this thread with how things progress, since I know these forums have been a huge help for me over the years.

Capture-GooglePlayDeveloperConsole2.JPG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick follow-up that it worked just fine for me to just restart, changing my package name and uploading it through the internal test track. My app is now communicating with the Console, which is what I was after. Thanks for the help!