User Tag List

Thread: There are no controls for dangerous permission requests yet?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are no controls for dangerous permission requests yet?

Is it true that there are no actions for Android integrated yet to get some control over dangerous permission requests in our apps?
    When I need ExternalStorage permission once in my app for a specific feature, for example - download some game resources for the first time
    or create an easy accessible local backup save folder for the user, so they could easily migrate their progress to a new Android device.
    For these features I definitely don't want that I can only prompt to users when the app starts, although it's not required at that point.
    So without some control over these permissions, it's often hard to find workarounds for certain features to ensure a good core app quality
    at any time. In Google documentation for Android app development I also found the hint:
    Don't check for or request permissions when the user opens your app.
    Instead, wait until the user selects or opens the feature that requires a particular permission.

A basic set of custom actions when requesting these permissions would need two important things:
    - an event to request the dangerous permission
    - a condition check "permission not granted by user after last request?"
    And optional useful, but not absolutely necessary:
    a test condition - On permission requested
    (permission requested → do something, run a message for example:
    "Local Backup feature unlocked - you might have noticed that the 'backup button' has now turned green - Thanks for granting!"

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I wrote about this optional On permission requested condition at the end was a little bit misleading - granted permission would fit better for that.
    So what I personally think is that it could be advantageous for dangerous permissions, if there would be a set with custom actions for better control.
    I could imagine two conditions/actions and one has a negated variant:
    - an event to request the permission
    - a condition check "permission was granted by user after last happened request" + the negated variant(permission was not granted...)

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Dangerous permission are asked when you ask for an action that involve the dangerous permission, your idea force a totally different approach involving user to code teh permission, what is being code is a new condition to check if permission are denied by user, let you know when is ready.
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

... new things are coming ...