User Tag List

Thread: More knowledge needed for creating a custom Platformer Movement

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb More knowledge needed for creating a custom Platformer Movement

Hi there! Amateur game dev here. I've been studying about platformers with what I can and I've managed to figure out in the end that I want to make a complete custom platform movement.

Of course there is the built in physics platform movement and even the better platform movement, but what I want to do is be able to build my own unique platform movement because I want to be able to be creative without limitations of built in things.

I've learned from this particular example:
    https://youtu.be/uQ7e7tRK9ZQ

And it seems like an amazing start. However it doesn't cover states, and still is abit confusing. But definitely something I want to develop further so I can pull off an amazing platformer. Is there more of these kind of tutorials? Maybe some dealing primarily with character/enemy states that would allow me to make custom physics? One example being a Yoshi flutter jump in the Mario games, I want to be able to pull off those kind of things,but I have little to no idea how to even start with custom code.(I did find a flutter jump example, but I have no idea how to 'digest' it just yet.)

Thank you for your time!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I understand you correctly, by states you mean "falling", "climbing", "floating" and so on, then you should get into working with flags and alterable values. There you can determine what your player object is doing at the moment (flags) and store any value needed to tweak its coordinates at any given moment. You should also have an invisible object store universal values and flags.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is right! Thanks a ton for the help!