User Tag List

Thread: The "Xbox Gamepad" object has a serious issue.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "Xbox Gamepad" object has a serious issue.

The object has separate deadzones for the X and Y axis. This means if your stick is all the way to the left (for instance) you cannot change your angle slightly by moving the stick up or down. It sticks to the 4 cardinal directions. It goes from 180 degrees to either 165 degrees or 195 degrees with nothing in between.

There is one option for disabling all deadzones for the entire object, but why make the object like this? Why not have separate expressions for raw input at least?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've barely begun to scratch the surface of the problems with gamepad objects in Fusion. The Xbox Gamepad object is actually the more sensible and user-friendly of the objects, but as you've noticed it has serious problems with deadzones, feathering, 360˚ movement (not to mention PS4 gamepad support). The Joystick 2 object is more powerful and versatile, and can be used to circumvent some of those problems, but at the cost of idiosyncrasies that are even weirder and more labyrinthine (just try and get the left stick, right stick and dpad to work in a mutually consistent way, on both xbox and ps4 gamepads - the bizzare results need to be seen to be believed). Joystick 2 also has some reported potential compatibility problems with Steam and/or possible input lag, especially on lower framerates.

A while back, I made VACCiNE in an effort to try and tame Joystick 2's idiosyncracies, and I think I did a pretty good job. I standardised deadzones, 8-dir and 360˚ outputs, and made a system that does a lot of the maths and fiddly stuff for you behind the scenes so you can easily get info like 360˚ direction of both sticks (or 'how strongly is a stick being pressed?') which was previously only possible with tedious trigonometric calculations. Though be warned: the inherent dangers of Joystick 2 remain (potential Steam issues, potential input lag). I personally hope that Clickteam will eventually make an updated gamepad object that addresses all of these issues. As much as I like the slow trickle of occasional purchases of VACCiNE 2 over the years, I'd be more than happy for it to one day be made redundant.

VACCiNE 1 is free on the clickstore; VACCiNE 2 costs a few bucks. VACCiNE 2 contains a niftier interface, some better optimisation, and some more features, but the core gamepad/input engine is fairly similar in both.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just use VACCiNE 2, I highly recommend it.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here we go : sigh!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danjo View Post
    here we go : sigh!
    Which part? The controller extensions are notoriously buggy, VACCiNE is an obvious solution to the problem.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure the "sigh" from Danjo reflects that Fusion still cannot handle gamepad objects properly and is extremely behind the competition in this aspect.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @danjo I know what you mean. Issues with the gamepad objects have been discussed extensively!

@dustingunn I have attached an example for you. It's based on this awesome example here.

With this example, you should be able to set a circular deadzone for each stick. There's also stuff in there to get a floating point angle value from each stick. With a little bit of work, you might even be able to get something resembling analog control out of it.

It's not the prettiest solution, but it's a solution none the less. Hope this helps!

DeadzoneExample.mfa