User Tag List

Thread: Single frame game thoughts? Idea?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Single frame game thoughts? Idea?

Hi all. I'm getting the itch to mess with my games again lol and i was thinking. Before, i made an absolute mess of a game, having like 250+ frames and that's the biggest reason why i lost interest years ago; new ideas would come up, leaving me changing literally hundreds of frames of code and chasing down bugs...yeah, learned the hard way! But i was just thinking; has anyone ever tried making a game within a single frame (without a level editor) by using active objects for the backgrounds? For example, having a backdrop active just for collisions, then having a few more behind it for the main background/parallax effects? Then just adding them as numbered frames for different sections of the levels? I'm thinking that may be a good thing to try out. And it sounds like it should be manageable, naming the animations by the stage number. Then keeping count of each section per the animation frames of the object. Does any of that make any sense? lol i hope so.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't done it with parallax but I've made a couple games and a few prototypes where most of the gameplay is in the one frame. The levels were random/procedurally generated.
    I had a series of active objects as tiles that were pasted into the background (rather than staying as active objects), and then at the end of the level the frame would reset (or you could remove pasted backgrounds).

You could also keep the multiple frame approach and just have all your events global, or in global active objects, so that they're the same across all the frames. That way you'd only need to have events in that frame's event editor if it was special to that specific frame

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do something along the lines of what you're describing, I think.

I use active objects for everything - I don't use backdrops. I have a parallax system with some ~40 layers (not all layers are used in every world) , and these are populated by active objects that are turned on/off, positioned and scaled accordingly. The active objects have tiny placeholder graphics in them; the engine loads in the real graphics dynamically at runtime, from external pngs. I guess I could also just have the graphics in multiple animations, as you describe.

I do use a level editor of sorts, but it's based on the frame editor. So each level has its own frame, which I use to position the various elements. These frames don't actually get built in the game. They're just for me to edit in. When I'm happy with a level I run the frame and it automatically saves the layout into an array file. (These frames have no code on them - the array-saving code is in global events.)

The game itself is in one frame. It contains code to read the above-mentioned array files and use them to create the desired levels dynamically. And it contains all the code to run the game, of course.

This system works for me. I get to have a separate frame for every level that I can visually rearrange, but without any kind of code duplication. I only have code in two places: the main frame, and global events.

Speaking of global events, I only started using them once I got the 2.5+DLC, as they were too limited and hard to access before. But with 2.5+, those problems are gone: they now support qualifiers, they show the names of altVals, and they're instantly accessible via hotkey.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info guys! So, TL/DR; sounds like even if i use multiple frames like i did before, the new 2.5+ DLC (i have it also) could alleviate a lot of the problems associated with coding across multiple frames? If so that'd be great lol. As a matter of fact, i may still have my old MFA kicking around and if that's all it takes i could just refresh my code and start using my old progress.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check this https://community.clickteam.com/threads/84185-Array-Level-Builder-for-Fusion-2-5-(variation-on-Shawn-s-example-of-the-same-name)

Very simple but imo the best way of doing one frame games. It uses fusions editor so you build levels in frames, run the frame and it saves the objects to an array, which you then can load in your Game Frame. Game frame is where you keep all your code and the level frames only have a few saving events.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... But do the saving events in global events. Because, if you're anything like me at least, you'll end up having to modify those saving events several times, as you add more complexity to your game.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volnaiskra View Post
    ... But do the saving events in global events. Because, if you're anything like me at least, you'll end up having to modify those saving events several times, as you add more complexity to your game.
    Exactly man. Lol been there, done that and it's a PAIN! The ONLY good thing is that i know exactly how i'm going to have my game work now. No new ideas or changes, just getting everything to work the way it's supposed to.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volnaiskra View Post
    yes i should have added that haha. i moved the save events to global too and the frames only have level specfic value events.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your game is a low-res pixel art game you could probably do a nice Metroidvania in one frame.

God, that would be an easy life in so many ways...