User Tag List

Thread: QOL suggestion - Frame Editor & Event Editor

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

QOL suggestion - Frame Editor & Event Editor

Is there a reason we can't have the Frame Editor and the Event Editor open at the same time? I'm using four 4K monitors and it'd be great to be able to utilize the whole workspace. I find myself switching from the event editor back to the frame editor a lot just for reference, to find what an object is called or where it's placed, etc. It would be great to be able to keep the frame editor open while also working in the event editor so I don't lose my place.

Of course, I fully acknowledge there may be a reason behind the scenes why this can not be so. But it would be nice.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1
    I would love this

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1
    ...And it would be great if we can open Global event editor/Frame event editor/Behavior event editor at the same time.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If you press SHIFT when you open an editor, it opens in a new window.

IIRC this was the default behavior in MMF1 but we disabled it in MMF2 because it was making things complicated, both practically and visually.

As this option is rarely used I wonder if it's safe nowadays. But I guess you can test it. :p

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying it now, and it seems to work ok so far. You can even have the Frame Editor from one frame open and the Event List Editor from a different frame open, which is great for me as I build my levels in separate frames to my main engine frame.

What would be really helpful is if we could move the Editor windows outside of the main Fusion application window (the way we can with some of the panel windows, like Workspace Toolbar and Find All window). This would allow for much more flexibility with different multi-monitor layouts. For example, I can imagine someone wanting the Event Editor on the main window, and the Global Event Editor on a monitor above that. But this would be problematic, as you'd need to stretch the main application window over two monitors, which would put the toolabars and menus on top of the upmost monitor (and not at the top of the main, eye-level monitor, where you'd probably want them).

Or in my case, where I have a side monitor in portrait mode, there's a limit to how much I can stretch the application window onto the second monitor, which limits how much space I can use for an editor window:

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yves you just changed my life.

Not kidding, this makes things a LOT easier!

I hope in the future it will be easier to dock these windows, and that I will be able to expand the Fusion window to more than 7139 px width for better multi-monitor support. But just this knowledge alone will improve my workflow greatly. Thank you!

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been working like this for a while now and it's pretty good. Unfortunately, working with 2 windows open seems to bring back this annoying ELE sync bug. The usual workaround was to make sure you have the Editor Toolbar enabled. But once you have two windows open, that no longer seems to fix the bug.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah after working with it for a few days this has been very unstable and causes Fusion to crash for me. No error message, window just disappears.

Would be great to get some workspace enhancements to make this kind of thing possible and better at some point in the future though.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I've been using it exclusively since Yves explained the shift thing, and I haven't had any stability problems. I only use it across 2 monitors though, neither of which are 4k (with panels like workspace toolbar and Find All window on a third).

I've experienced quite a few minor quirks and annoyances though. Like the dropdown frame list not updating to the correct frame number. Jumping from event list editor to global events and back sometimes goes to wrong frame. Scrollwheel zooming while two frame editors are open will zoom both. That sort of thing. It was also a pain to arrange the windows correctly drag windows onto their separate monitors each time I start Fusion, but I've used a macro program to automate that.

But these quirks aside, it's still been worth it. I have my code in one frame while I build my levels in the frame editor of another frame. Having both of these available at once is fantastic.

I think it'd be great if Clickteam could tighten up some of the behaviour to make multi-monitor setup more fruitful (including addressing the stability issues Christian_Wheel reported of course).