User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Performance on Android - case study, conclusions and help needed

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFrezi View Post
    It'll run really bad on any mid-ranger or less that is 3-4 years old or older, it's not just the sound, the number of events and number of objects play a big role. In my project, I have around 800 events, maximum of 60 are true and perform their actions at busy times each frame. The ones that are not needed are disabled.
    The numbers I just stated shouldn't run slow on old devices, but it does on Fusion exported ones :-(
    I have 6720 events on every level for Spartan Firefight... ^^

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing.
    Objects count?
    Do you use tiles or you have large graphic assets for the platforms?

Firefighter runs excellent on my oneplus 3t, no sounds stuttering or slow downs.

Why does it run so different? You're first game stutter and slows down, and the more complexed one runs fine?
    Is there anything left but object count?
    BTW the platforms in my game are active just for the sake of layering.
    I can fix it using layers and make all the platforms backdrops. Should help.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing.
    Objects count?
    Do you use tiles or you have large graphic assets for the platforms?

Firefighter runs excellent on my oneplus 3t, no sounds stuttering or slow downs.

Why does it run so different? You're first game stutter and slows down, and the more complexed one runs fine?
    Is there anything left but object count?
    BTW the platforms in my game are active just for the sake of layering.
    I can fix it using layers and make all the platforms backdrops. Should help.
    Spartan Runner was my very first game on Android, so it's not optimized like Spartan Firefight is. This second game is really better optimized and has less objects per frame for the level design.
    Only 200 to 300 objects for it where on Spartan Runner all the levels are on the same frame so there is a looooooooooooooot of objects, many parallax backgrounds, etc...
    I've optimized my events like you did, and what i create my game menu only on demand.
    i try to use small image when possible and use a scale 2 or scale 4 to make it to the size i need. Most of my animated sprites use "inactivate if too far" when possible.
    I also use color reduction, and my game base color is set to 32768 colors.
    I've made ONE year of optimizations on this game so it's hard to tell what was the best thing, but i always try things. And the last one was to set convert every samples to OGG 192kbps, and my game stopped to stutter when shooting with the assault rifle on my Samsung J3. Also, i don't know if it changes anything, but every samples is child event. For example:
    Code:
    Player shoot - do shoot things
     (child) + samples are on - play shoot sample on channel 4
    With that, if an user set the samples to off, he gets a boost of performances. I also don't use more than 10 sample channels in this game (+ channel 32 for the background music) where in my first game i use one channel per sound...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the sound stutter might be connected to the number of objects. Heavy loads makes it harder to play sounds on old phones.
    I have 500-800 objects per frame, and the ones with 500 run better.

I guess my mission is to lower the number of objects substantially by moving from tiles to quick backdrops, and moving from actives to backdrops. Seems like I've handled everything else you mentioned already.
    I really appriciate your insights.

It might take some time, I'll update :-)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the sound stutter might be connected to the number of objects. Heavy loads makes it harder to play sounds on old phones.
    I have 500-800 objects per frame, and the ones with 500 run better.

I guess my mission is to lower the number of objects substantially by moving from tiles to quick backdrops, and moving from actives to backdrops. Seems like I've handled everything else you mentioned already.
    I really appriciate your insights.

It might take some time, I'll update :-)
    One more thing, when a sample has a big size, try to set it to "play from disk" instead of preload. I use that for the game musics.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been struggling with sounds causing stutters, even in my smaller projects with well compressed .oggs - I'll have to try 192kbps. Have you noticed longer (not larger file size) sounds loop earlier than they're supposed to when preloaded?

I've tested on a Galaxy s3 and much newer devices and both have troubles with sounds on both blank projects and more complex ones, been scratching my head on this one for months.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'll switch all long tracks to play from disk.

Volt, this does not appear to be the case in simple, "blank" projects:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8u9nyok8jxe6186/test.apk?dl=0

When I tested this with a 96kbps sample it stuttered for the first time it had to play the sound.
    With 192kbps this is not the case, so I guess Dobermann's right! 192kbps is more performance friendly!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried the game, but there is only the tutorial which seemed quite fluid, but when I try to play the first level only the background and no objects appear, maybe you sent me the file only with the tutorial

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is weird. I never had a file with just a tutorial. Actually the tutorial was broght to the game only after 3-4 working levels.
    You might have an older version INI crashing with a new one, can you please try to clear cache and try again?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i cleared the cache and then the data too, but keep starting with the tutorial and the first level doesn't work

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast