User Tag List

Thread: Possible to search an array for all rows containing a specific string in an element?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible to search an array for all rows containing a specific string in an element?

Hello

I was hoping to see other ways people have accomplished something like this:

Theoretical game requirement using Pokemon as an example

- an array of enemies, with a value defining the type of each enemy

Type, Name, Stat1, etc

Grass, Venosaur, 10...
    Grass, Snivy, 5...
    Fire, Charizard, 10...
    Normal, Toucannon, 10...

If I wanted to, during an encounter event, only allow the "spawned" Pokemon to be of Grass types, this is how I would do it:

- ForEach loop checking rows in the array
    - an If event in the loop checking if the string in column 1 of the current row is "Grass"?

That would be using a standard array or a magicDeque object.

Or are there other objects that can accomplish it better?

Coming from Powershell in my professional life, forEach is a superbly useful function, but I know it can slow down unless you narrow the scope a bit on a big operation. Since this isn't a big operation (in my project it would maybe have 100 rows to go through) then it shouldn't really pose any big performance issues should it? There may a couple of other similar loops for other things at the same time during loading of the frame.

On a side note, I found after years using Powershell extensively, the object oriented experience in Clickteam really, uh, clicked with me.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As per your Pokemon example, what I would do is group the pokemon in the array by type....i.e have all grass pokemon in array slots (assuming x = column & Y = row) Y : 0-19, fire type 20-39, normal type 40-59 etc (the numbers are arbitrary), so then you know that iterating through certain regions will return only those pokemon of that type. I don't know if that's going to be much use for your purposes but that's how I would approach it.

100 rows isn't a lot, but the overhead is mostly going to come from the string comparisons. It might also be a good idea if you can somehow use numerics to represent all the different types of information while you're iterating through it. Numeric arrays are nominally faster than text/hybrid arrays & the options for comparing string/chars can get a little messy if you're doing it many times for multiple objects.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider using ArrayX, which has search functionality.

Otherwise, Ini/Ini++ might be more suitable for you to use; you can store multiple items per group, as a sort of tree but with named branches. It'll be far more readable.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey these are both great suggestions. Thank you!