User Tag List

Thread: "Display" causing unexplainable frame drops

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Display" causing unexplainable frame drops

Looking at the memory usage for my game is stays around 65mb on this one specific frame, barely anything.

Randomly I'll get huge framerate drops while testing random things, like the game completely slows down. Sometimes refocusing the game (clicking somewhere on the game's screen) will get rid of it, sometimes it doesn't. Memory usage doesn't spike at all during this.

So I ran the profiler that comes with 2.5+, what spikes is "Display"... now that info isn't really helpful to me since it's so vague.

During the frame drops I'm not doing anything super specific, usually just walking around the level.

I use the Active System Box to display text sometimes when walking over specific Actives on the map; this will sometimes trigger it about 10% of the time I activate them. The events that display text are set to run only once, again memory usage doesn't go up at all.

I'll put pics of the profilers below.

Session with frame drops:

profiler.png

Frame runs fine:

profiler 2.png

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to mention, opening the debugger will stop the framedrops for some reason.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect that the frame lags are being caused by the Active System Box. Displaying text on it, especially.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YesNoYes View Post
    I suspect that the frame lags are being caused by the Active System Box. Displaying text on it, especially.
    Isn't that the whole point of it though, to display text? Why would it run so horribly, doesn't that make it essentially useless?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    Isn't that the whole point of it though, to display text? Why would it run so horribly, doesn't that make it essentially useless?
    It's an old extension that I think uses some old (pre Win 7) Windows API to generate the box. All I know is that having them in the frame at all, even if idle or inactive, seems to introduce lag. It's less noticeable on Windows, but on Android the frame drops it caused were so bad I had to remove every instance of it from a mobile project I had & replace them with string objects.

I had also noticed lag with the Background System Box, a similar object.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YesNoYes View Post
    It's an old extension that I think uses some old (pre Win 7) Windows API to generate the box. All I know is that having them in the frame at all, even if idle or inactive, seems to introduce lag. It's less noticeable on Windows, but on Android the frame drops it caused were so bad I had to remove every instance of it from a mobile project I had & replace them with string objects.

I had also noticed lag with the Background System Box, a similar object.
    Noted, won't use em. I just replaced it with a String instead and it works great. Thanks for the help