User Tag List

Thread: "Turn off/Reset" Effects instead of setting Effect to "None"?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question "Turn off/Reset" Effects instead of setting Effect to "None"?

The reason behind this is that I use...
    • X Direction of "Player Hitbox" = -1
    Player Character: Set effect to "Flip Horizontally"

• X Direction of "Player Hitbox" = 1
    Player Character: Set effect to "None"

...as a means to flip the character so I don't have to create duplicate sprite animations in every opposite direction. The same goes for all my enemies in my game.

But this makes it impossible for me to use any other effect, such as having another effect when an enemy gets hit, because the effect is always set to "None" when the player or enemy is facing right.

I was just wondering if it would be possible to reset or turn off a specific effect in use instead of using the Set Effect "None", as this turns off every effect in use instead of only targeting one effect.

If there is no way to turn off a specific effect, perhaps it would be possible to create a new effect which flips the "Flip Horizontally" effect?
    How would I go about doing this? I reckon it shouldn't be too hard to create what seems as a pretty simple effect, although I have never created effects myself, so I don't really know where to start.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLC

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend you just use the built-in feature to create the mirrored animations for you:

This has the advantage that the hotspot and action point are also flipped, whereas a shader effect only flips the image.

Alternatively, you could create your own shader very easily. I wrote an article on the subject a long time ago, and one of the examples actually does exactly what you need (you can toggle horizontal and vertical flipping by setting a parameter) - but if you're using the DX10 runtime you will need to convert it (there's an article on that in the shader development section of these forums).
    https://create-games.com/article.asp?id=2275

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, thanks MuddyMole!

I didn't know about the right clicking to create an opposite direction. One of the major reasons that made me not want to use Fusions directions is that I have multiple enemies in the same object, so each direction is just graphics for another enemy. And using Fusions directions would remove 50% of available slots for me to do so.

I will read your article, it sounds like it could be exactly what I need.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to learn the old way of doing the shader and then making a conversion of said files and then build .hlsl + .fxc files gave me a headache. I will probably have to use Fusions built in directions instead.