User Tag List

Thread: Large backdrop deleting itself

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Large backdrop deleting itself

So yeah, I'm making a level with a pretty huge backdrop. Most of my levels are around 4500x2500 or so, but this one is ~9600x4200; I guess Fusion has an image limit that isn't explained anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WQ90s6_MbY

I can import the image just fine but after runtime it doesn't show in-game, and then deletes itself after exiting runtime. The object still exists, but the image gets wiped.

The game runs at 1920x1080 and graphics are drawn and scaled up 4x their size.

So, this level image is actually 2432x1088 before I upscale it in my image editor. I can insert that non-upscaled image in the Fusion editor as an active and 4x scale it at runtime, which runs fine, but then I can't actually design the level because I can't see where anything is in the editor; how am I supposed to add enemies, collision, interactables etc. if I can't see where the ground is?

So what does everybody else do? The 1920x1080 is necessary for me or else the camera that follows the player looks way choppier than it should.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I split the 4x scaled image up into 2 images and it works fine, but I get a small stutter when the second image (one not immediately in frame on startup) comes into frame.

Any way around this, like a way to preload on startup or something?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scaling up your graphics before you import them is a crazy. Don't do it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most likely what is happening is the size of the backdrop is a larger "texture" than your GPU can handle. The best practice is to slice your backdrop down into smaller tiles that follow the power of 2 rule. This will ensure they display properly for most/all GPUs (even integrated) and are much more memory efficient.

You can slice them down into resolutions of 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 (don't recommend going above 1024) on the length and/or width parameters. For example, a 32x512, 64x256, 128x128, etc. I use the slice tool in Photoshop for this and export to PNGs.

For the absolute BEST practice, export your individual tiles and load into Fusion, then rebuild to match your map.