User Tag List

Thread: Is it ok to use non-ini extensions in ini files?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it ok to use non-ini extensions in ini files?

This is probably a silly question, but is it ok to use non-.ini extensions with the INI++ object? ( eg. instead of blabla.ini, use blabla.cfg, blabla.dat, or blabla.mysettingsfile?) I currently use 4 different INI files in my game for different purposes, and I sometimes struggle to tell them apart in notepad++. I'd like to be able to jump into notepad++ and start working immediately, without first having to look around and check the filename to make sure I'm in the right file. (For whatever reason, my brain gets easily irritated and unfocused when stuff isn't visually organised and segregated well, which is why you'll almost never see me on discord - that place is hell for me). Anyway, I came upon the idea to format them with different colors so I can instantly know which one I'm working on. But for that to work in Notepad++, they'll each need a different extension.

I just did a test and it seems to work fine - when I pointed INI++ to a file called blabla.abc it loaded it fine. But I just want to make sure that there isn't some other factor I don't know about.

Thanks

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be fine, it's pretty common for many programs to do this, and the INI++ object doesn't seem to care (that's the only way it could be a problem, but it'd be really surprising).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, cool. I didn't know it was common. Thanks airways!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleFirefly 3D ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only issue that could arise would rather come from notepad++ that could modify the encoding of the ini if it doesn't know what kind of file is used.
    And it can only know it by the extension name. But I think it uses utf8 by default and that should be fine with ini++ I guess. Althought ini++ doesn't handle unicode and you use special charaters ?

Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for thinking of that Brovic. I've checked, and Notepad++ uses UTF-8 for both ini files and my new non-ini files. So I guess that means that it'll continue encoding them the same way as it did before they were renamed, which is good news.

I use lots of special unicode characters inside my MFA, though I only use normal characters in the INI files. Though now you mention it, I'll make sure that Notepad++ defaults to a non-unicode font when it displays my ini files. That way if I ever accidentally slip a special character into a file, the problem should be easier to spot. Thanks!