User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best way to make Castlevania map?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the advices...

My game Is Just a experiment, I think the game Will have 60 rooms.
    I think are 60 objects Isn't a huge problem for the ram, but I have a doubt: how many groups can save .INI?
    The my idea Is make a actvice object with variable A on 1 when character visit that room, so I add condizioni reapear image in start frame. Very Easy... But I Hope that not causing problems with INI or RAM

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Mac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am working on a metroidvania engine right now:

---

(NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT-q2BihyLM&t=3s

---

My logic is, I have and editor engine that runs together with the ingame engine (This saves a lot of time).

Whenever I save values to the array, for objects and tilesets, they will be saved for the specific array of that room. I have one different array for each room, with different name depending on the room code.

This may seen a bit much, but I think it's dangerous to place everything on a single array for the whole game.

I then load rooms according to specific neutral room passages (pretty much like SOTN).

All this running in a single frame

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you think it's dangerous to place everything on a single array for the whole game? Care to elaborate?

Thanks,
    Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Mac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A huge game like SOTN would have tons of rooms and, even though you can spread values to "X,Y,Z" I fell you run the risk of the array size becoming way too big to proper load what do you want.

Also, in the case you are still developing the game, you run the risk of messing things up and mess up the whole single array you are using to load your game. Maybe a good solution for this would be to implement a custom backup array system.

I am more comfortable working with multiple arrays, I can open a single one and check it if I want, and I need to worry less about arrays with huge dimensions.

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PandaExplosion View Post
    A huge game like SOTN would have tons of rooms and, even though you can spread values to "X,Y,Z" I fell you run the risk of the array size becoming way too big to proper load what do you want.

Also, in the case you are still developing the game, you run the risk of messing things up and mess up the whole single array you are using to load your game. Maybe a good solution for this would be to implement a custom backup array system.

I am more comfortable working with multiple arrays, I can open a single one and check it if I want, and I need to worry less about arrays with huge dimensions.
    Makes sense to me. It's hard to argue that logic.

Thanks,
    Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget that for games like SOTN, everything is not on one big map but rather divided into several parts. The cave zone will be on one array, the entrance on another, etc...
    For my Metroidvania Games, I prefer to use a single frame for the all game, but divided for each room. I also created a Tool for Minimap, where I sync value with the name of the map :

inexistencemap.png
    Probably not the best way, but it's worked pretty well.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On the same subject do you guys have a clever solution for "exact minimap exploration"? For instance, currently my map will render both a 256x256 and 1024x1024 sized areas as 8x8 tiles on the map even though the latter should take up more space on the map and not be fully explored the moment player enters the room. It is a bit misleading to the player.

I have a couple of approaches I haven't tried out but it feels like I am re-inventing the wheel here...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Don't forget that for games like SOTN, everything is not on one big map but rather divided into several parts. The cave zone will be on one array, the entrance on another, etc...
    For my Metroidvania Games, I prefer to use a single frame for the all game, but divided for each room. I also created a Tool for Minimap, where I sync value with the name of the map :

inexistencemap.png
    Probably not the best way, but it's worked pretty well.
    Yep, I start to making the map. I used a Global value for the linear parts, and the strings for optional parts. Also in the begin I save some variables because the player needs finding the map.

Note: Are you the dev of Inexistence? Great game, I have it on my Steam!

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I am! Very happy that you enjoy the game, thank you.
    Hope you'll be able to make a greater Metroidvania on your side, I'll keep an eye on this!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrilley View Post
    On the same subject do you guys have a clever solution for "exact minimap exploration"? For instance, currently my map will render both a 256x256 and 1024x1024 sized areas as 8x8 tiles on the map even though the latter should take up more space on the map and not be fully explored the moment player enters the room.
    What's the specific issue? It sounds like you just need to represent the 1024x1024 area using a 4x4 tile area of the mini-map?
    To find the player's "world" position, you just need to know their room (frame) position, and the position of the top-left corner of the room within the world. The last of those could either be stored in the map array for each room, or calculated by comparing the frame position at which the player entered the current room, and the frame position at which they exited the previous room.

+ player moves from one room to another
    -> topleft.y = lopleft.y + exit.y - enter.y
    -> topleft.x = lopleft.x + exit.x - enter.x

+ always
    -> player.world.x = player.x + topleft.x
    -> player.world.y = player.y + topleft.y

...and then obviously you can just divide the world coordinates by 256 to get the mini-map coordinates.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast