User Tag List

Thread: Puzzling text blitting issue re: delimiter based colour changing

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Puzzling text blitting issue re: delimiter based colour changing

Hello

I have reworked Chris Burrows' text blitting engine (http://www.diybandits.com.au/MMF/examples.html) to add a few functions and take advantage of some features of 2.5+.

*note the attached MFA needs 2.5+ as it uses child events

- window wrap (when text reaches the bottom of the window blitting pauses and resumes from the top again when a user presses a key)
    - text "zones" so you can have several blitted areas that won't interfere with eachother
    - input blitting (for say, entering a name)
    - a few other things

Anyhow, it all works great.

Except one thing, that is changing the colour of the text acts differently depending on the speed of the blitting.

If the blitting is set to fast or instant, it works fine. With a slow blit, it only change the colour of the first few letters.

It uses delimiters to change the text colour. In this example I set the following:

{ = change to red
    } = change to yellow
    ( = change to green
    ) = change back to white

You can write a string like this: "Hello this is {bright red, }yellow, (green, )and white again."

At fast or instant blit speed (instant is any value over 10) it looks like this, as it should: Hello this is bright red, yellow, green, and white again.

At a low blit speed however that ends up looking like this: "Hello this is bright red, yellow, green, and white again."

The wacky part is, green ALWAYS works. No matter what speed, what delimiter I select, the green words always 100% work. Any other colour, regardless of delimiter, has the above mentioned issue.
    I have tried:
    - different delimter characters
    - different colours
    - different sprite sheets
    - various placements of the events

with no luck. I am thinking I am missing something obvious, or that this is just some weird "Fusion-ism"

I was hoping someone may be able to put their eyes on this attached (and stripped down) MFA to see what I mean. I have stared at this for hours and just can't figure it out. The character sets are all the same, same hotspots, action points, everything.

You can change the blit speed in the debugger by changing the "Blit Speed" alterable value of the "Blitter" object.

If I can solve this I'll put the whole thing together and post it up so other people can use this engine for text blitting too.
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the attachment in this one, just a single frame now so it's easier to use the debugger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Hey I figured it out.

If anyone is interested, the example was using the original method in the engine, which was to set the Blitter object's animation to one corresponding with each colour you wanted, when it finds the delimiter. So animation "red" is for red etc.

These animations are mirrored in the Character object as each tileset.

Then when the character object is created, it's animation is set to the same as the Blitter.

Turns out testing the animation # was unreliable, so I changed it to just set an alterable value of 1-4 on the Blitter object instead, and then the Character's animation (tileset) was set based off that value.

Attached the fixed version of the above files for anyone who is interested. Once I have ironed it out I'll post up the full engine which has been modernized from Chirs Burrow's original (excellent) work with MMF2.