Thread: All Boxed Up Tutorial - Game play not as expected

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All Boxed Up Tutorial - Game play not as expected

Hey everyone.

I'm really new to the Clickteam Community.

I recently Downloaded the Clickteam Fusion 2.5 Free Version and my first attempt at making something was by following the "All Boxed Up" Tutorial.

I'm pretty sure I followed it all correctly, however the game isn't acting as it should.

Here is a YouTube link to a video capture I did showing 2 run throughs of the game: My All Boxed Up Video on YouTube

Problems:
    1) Ken doesn't always seem to shoot at where the direction object is located.
    - As you can easily see from the 2nd half of the video (well, through the whole lot, but stands out in the 2nd half). I had the mouse cursor/direction object in 3 different (2 slightly, 1 majorly) locations on the screen, and Ken seems to fire at the same spot.
    2) Not all crates count the score when knocked off.
    - Doesn't always stuff up, but you can see from the 2nd shot that 6 crates fell off, and only 5 counted towards the score.

I have also attached the .mfa file I have saved from following the tutorial.

Thank you in advance for helping me with this.
    Attached files Attached files

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hey Gonzo

You must check the checkbox 'Fixed Angle' from Ken's properties. This was 'on' by default when the tutorial was written (but is now off by default) hence the anomaly. I will correct this in the PDF.

Secondly, what Y position did you use for the test in the boxes dropping? Try something a little higher up for a more accurate response rate.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danny,

Thank you for the fix on Ken. that solved that issue.

the Y position I used for testing the boxes is (>) 270, as per the tutorial found in the help section of Fusion 2.5. I did have the thought of changing the Y Position on test, but with the ledge having a Y of 250, and a height of 48, the 270 Test position is half way down the ledge.
    I just tried changing the test to > 250, it seems better, but still doesn't work all the time. It worked fine the first 4 times with this new value, but the 5th time it didn't count 1 crate. attempt 6 & 7 fine, attempt 8 didn't count 2 crates.
    I'm not 100% sure, but it seems to not count properly when the 4 boxes stacked on top of each other, fall from | to / then ---- as they are passing the ledge (i hope that bit that makes sense)

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Can I ask... as a new user, were you phased by the immediate introduction to flags? At first, we tried to ensure all the tutorials would be watered down to the maximum for easy integration into the software. However, flags were needed to check each instance of each box. Introducing flags on a beginner tutorial was a 50/50 shot. If you were not phased by it, maybe I could write a new tutorial which also introduces the built-in ForEach loop, which iterates through each instance almost instantly...

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally wasn't phased by flags.

I have never made a game before, but do understand some programming terms and functions.
    I am a beginner with Fusion 2.5, but have had limited programming experience in Visual Basic and a couple of other things. So the idea of On/Off Yes/No Boolean Flags are not new to me.

I think this is why I jumped straight to the All Boxed In tutorial instead of the Chocobreak to see how lots of things moving around at once works, and what features Fusion 2.5 offers.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Can I ask... as a new user, were you phased by the immediate introduction to flags? At first, we tried to ensure all the tutorials would be watered down to the maximum for easy integration into the software. However, flags were needed to check each instance of each box. Introducing flags on a beginner tutorial was a 50/50 shot. If you were not phased by it, maybe I could write a new tutorial which also introduces the built-in ForEach loop, which iterates through each instance almost instantly...
    Yeah, I had some issues with the scoring... after the first crate falls, it starts incrementing, and then doesn't stop!

I tried adding another condition to it, under the "special conditions" ->"only one action when event loops" and "Only one action when event loops" and "Repeat" (setting the # to 8)...

Nothing seems to work on it. I know that it's something small that I'm not doing, however, as a newbie to this type of programming, this is kinda frustrating that it wasn't more explicitly shown in the tutorial.

Thanks for any help you can give.

-D

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize for the deep necro post of this, but I too have encountered this issue while going through the tutorial. The issue stems from when two boxes cross the plane at the same time. Both crates will have their flags set, but the score is only updated once. Is there some variable that I can add to the argument of increasing score to multiply it by the number of simultaneous instances in order to correct this issue? IE, instead of "Add 1 to score" have it "Add (1*<number of crates crossing>) to score"? Or some other way to confirm that every crate with the flag flipped is counted? After all, if this issue can happen in the tutorial, it can happen elsewhere, so having a solution would be appreciated.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So there is nobody who can help solve this bug?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use Scope Control object or the Select Object extension's expressions to count object instances that were selected by the conditions.
    Both are available on Darkwire ext list.