User Tag List

Thread: Lacewing help - Shooting and enemy AI

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lacewing help - Shooting and enemy AI

Hello,

I'm trying to make a game, and I'm trying to make an online, endless mode experience. I've done the chat room and the player control and the peer controls working with two people. The thing is, however, I am getting stuck on the enemy AI and the shooting mechanics.

This project has been in planning for four years. This is a kinda new idea (the online mode), but I thought it would be cool because the game series I'm working on does new things with each new game.

I'm even thinking of making it commercial too. I don't know if I'll do it though, but it is highly likely. So, we can talk about the royalties (because I'm broke right now), and I want this online mode done and completed and I don't know how.

If you reply to this thread, and then Discord me at: knd94#8718 , then that'd be great and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- JSG

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And your name in the credits.

- JSG

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the easiest thing to do is to have the enemies logic all run on the host machine (the machine that first joined the game or started the game) and send messages to the other player(s) machines via a separate channel. That way you don't have to worry about concurrency and merging changes from multiple machines. There will be some enemy lag, but there already is going to be some lag for the players anyway.

Another trick to keep in mind if you can't make all the logic run on one machine is that if you seed a random number generator with the same seed on every machine, every call to random() will return the same numbers in the same sequence. Of course this has to be done carefully and only used for enemy behavior, for instance, but might be a partial way to get logic to run on two machines and appear "smart" within it having to actually talk between them. Then all you do is send periodic state packets from the host to the other machine(s) to overwrite each enemy's state (health, position, etc.) and assume that it will continue to make the same decisions because it's still running from the same seed (you may have to re-seed the random number generator with a timestamp every time you send one of these updates in case the machines get out of sync).

Kind of high level ideas I know, but hopefully they can help you a bit.