User Tag List

Thread: Any scrolling beat 'em up tutorials?

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any scrolling beat 'em up tutorials?

I've been playing a lot of SoR4 lately, and am curious to know if there are any good, comprehensive guides to creating this kind of engine online? Someone was kind enough to create a small demo for me of how to make grappling animations work on here earlier this year, and I've browsed Youtube thoroughly looking for a suitable tutorial, but what I found was very fragmented - ie bits and pieces of information as opposed to helping you create from the ground up, I also know that there's a beat 'em up engine already made in the Clickteam store, but again, I'm looking for something to start from the very beginning.

Thanks in advance

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    break it up into to small segments, and work on creating those parts as an exercise before trying to mash it all into 1 project and confusing yourself when parts are not working or not working together.
    ie;
    make the walking movement for a player.
    make a enemy spawning system
    make a line of sight (same Y axis) system of character interaction for fighting
    make a grapple system
    make a combat system
    make a continue scroll system

this type of game in fusion is pretty easy.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. I've got a bit of experience with using most of those things, but it's putting them together I struggle with, for example, making a jump or throwing an enemy, letting the system know where the ground is at any given time, that's something I don't understand?

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ground contact eg;
    number of ways to do it, but a simplistic way, is have a block (invis) at the foot of each character.
    so for contact the 2 blocks would over lap ; (the block should be wide enough so 2 blocks make contact before the image of characters touch - ie fighting distance)
    and if for example, a character gets thrown, the block doesnt move, so the character knows where the footing of the ground is where it started from.

Clicker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to clarify; the Y position of the block, is where the character original ground is

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    There is indeed my beat em up engine on the Clickstore
    https://clickstore.clickteam.com/beat_em_up_engine

My work on a Streets of Rage 4 style engine is currently in development in full 1080p and will be very in-depth and feature-rich.
    Same as my other engine, the events are fully documented and explain how things work and why they exist and such and is a great way of learning the basics to start your own project.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice so far folks, a couple more things - jumping and running.

My guess is that jumping would be similar to Danjo's suggestion about using a block (or shadow?) at a player's feet to suggest the current floor position, adding that position's Y axis when a button is pressed before having it reach an apex then gradually returning to that starting value (if anyone want's to tighten my thinking up here feel free)?

How about running via a double tap to the left and right, much like in SoR or Golden Axe?

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone any more tips?