Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Using Fusion app to start another program - full screen switching issue

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Fusion app to start another program - full screen switching issue

I had the bright idea to create an index program that essentially makes an index of shortcuts to dosbox and dos games. The shortcuts are relative so they work regardless of what drive the program, dosbox, and the games are on, so long as they are in the appropriate directories on the same drive. This makes the whole dos game setup portable.

But I have run into a problem. When I test the program in Fusion, it works flawlessly. Clicking the shortcut brings up dosbox and loads the appropriate game. From within dosbox, I can then press alt-enter to make my dos game full screen. When I am done playing the game and I close dosbox, the index program pops back up. Then I can choose another game to play.

But this doesn't work when I build the program. The moment I try to switch dosbox to fullscreen the index program resizes itself AND terminates dosbox (and my dos game along with it). I have tried disabling full screen within the index program and the same behavior still occurs. I have tried ordering the index program to terminate once it runs dosbox and dosbox will STILL crash even though the Fusion program is no longer running.

If it just worked in the built application the way it does when tested under Fusion, everything would be all right. But it doesn't.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, not sure what's going on there with the index program and dosbox games being so stubbornly linked to each other. Maybe see if you can try launching them using a different method (eg. using some alternate extension).

The only other thing I can think of is to try using the Advanced Tray Object to "Minimize window to system tray", to force the index program into the system tray as you run a dosbox game. That way, it'll still be running, but (presumably) shouldn't be affected by you hitting alt-enter. You can then try and restore it once the dosbox game is done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With minimize to tray, the same behavior occurs when switching to full screen. It works in the testing part of Fusion but doesn't work in the built application. If I use minimize and hide, the full screen switching works, but only if I do not have the "wait to end" box check for the execute other program command. But then I have no idea how to get the index program to know that the other program is ended so that the system tray object can restore it. And of course, with minimize and hide, I have to use the task manager to find and manually end the program. What other extension can run another program?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure there are a few that can. Have a look through the extension manager

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked through every single extension listed and didn't see one.

I tried the "get and kill process" extension, but, though it will recognize "notepad.exe" running, it will not recognize "dosbox.exe" running. I tried a workaround where I would call up a text file in addition to dosbox, leave it in place, minimize and hide the index program using the advanced tray object, and then restoring the index program when the text file is closed. Fullscreen works, but the index program returns with an unreadably small window and there is no way to restore it within the program itself (restarting the application doesn't work, using window controls doesn't seem to work either).

I don't know what else to try. If the build in Fusion stuff just worked in the built application like it does when it is tested in Fusion, none of this would be an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "built in Fusion stuff"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I've found a workaround, I think. It requires a second Fusion program whose only purpose is to kill the index program, restart the index program, and then kill itself, and it requires the index program to open the killing program and a text file. If I leave the text file open (minimized or behind the index program), I can use the index program to select a dos game and I can fullscreen it without a problem. When I exit the dos game, all I see is the text file. Then I can close text file. When that happens, the killing program will then do it's thing, and the index program will pop back up, having been killed and restarted. Then I can select another dos game, etc. It's not as elegant as I'd like though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing I have discovered. If I do not minimize my index program, all I need to do is have the execute-an-external-application command run a text file at start up. So long as the text file is open, I can switch to fullscreen in dosbox without any problems. Weird

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try this
    Make sure you are using Standard runtime and not DirectX
    Then use the window control object to make the window invisible.
    Make sure to make it reappear when dosbox closes

Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried disabling this option?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast