User Tag List

Thread: Sound Channels fluctuating Volume

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Sound Channels fluctuating Volume

Iím working on a few improvements from my game when I noticed something off. I want to adjust the gameís volume based on the recommendation of the player: just simple sound settings. However, whenever I try to set an action that sets the gameís or channelís volume, it does lower it to the requested volume, but it frequently jumps to much higher levels than what itís supposed to. The action is to have the Sound take the volume level from an Alterable Value from an object. That requested action is only executed once at the beginning and that execution carries over to the rest of the frames, albeit somewhat. I want the volume to stay to that level without it jumping and shocking any of my players.

Has anyone faced a similar problem like this?

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Playing the same sample multiple times at the same time will amplify the volume, that happens cause sound frequencies stack on top of similar frequencies (that's physics, not a Fusion thing).
    But if the sample change volume when playing alone, then it's a problem with your logic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of my samples are played as (uninterruptible): they won’t overlap if they’re from the same channel. If by “logic” you mean my events, there are only two events that is meant for volume control and it only happens in the first frame.

Always
    >Set Alterable Value (Playing Volume) from “Controller” object to X

Timer is under .3 seconds
    >Set Volume to “Controller’s (Playing Volume)”

The result of these two events do carry over to the rest of the frames as changing the value number also changes the volume’s lowest point; however, the samples just peak randomly without explanation. There’s even a melody playing that sporadically has some its notes in the middle be put on full blast and ends on the recommended volume.

I now have a theory on why this happens, but I have to do some checking much later today before I can confirm it.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tip: Open the debugger, open the Sound Channels section, see what happens when these samples get louder, if you see more than one instance appearing when that happens it would explain it.

Other than this, can't know without seeing the events that actually plays the samples.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I did a multitude of testing and these are my results.
    I used Alterable Values from an object in the debugger to see the current volume levels of the four channels.
    • Checking the debugger, it shows that the volumes of all four channels remain the same: dispite it sounding like itís jumping out and about.
    • As you said, @NaitorStudios, the debugger also shows the sample playing on their requested channels: none of the samples are playing multiple times on different channels.
    • I went a little experimental and checked to see the Ďmain volumeí: it stays at 100 no matter the changes of the channels, and manipulating the main volume as well results in the volume levels being more finicky than leaving main volume alone. Changing it to 5 or below will simply mute the game completely.

What I find most odd is while running the game in the Editor Runtime and as a stand-alone executable, it gives me this jumpy inconsistent volume: however, the HTML version I released uses similar code, but changes the volume EXACTLY how I want it. The HTML version never has its samples jump unpredictability. Just in case anyone asks, Iíve tested the same HTML build I published some time ago from the Editor Runtime and I still got the same problem.

Maybe some instructions are treated differently by ports, but man, I really want to take whatever the HTML version is doing with the channel volumes and put it into my executables.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you can isolate your sample playing part and send a mfa, I could spot the problem or report if this is a bug.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export Module

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i found that you have to put the "set volume of channel" action AFTER your play sample action in the event order.

if i put the set volume action before, then the play sample always resets the volume back to 100%

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHINBAXTER View Post
    i found that you have to put the "set volume of channel" action AFTER your play sample action in the event order.

if i put the set volume action before, then the play sample always resets the volume back to 100%
    Only if you're using Play Sample (all parameters)