User Tag List

Thread: Audio Speed For Visual Novel Dialogue?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Audio Speed For Visual Novel Dialogue?

Hi,

I am currently working on a visual novel game. I want the typing speed to be fast, but it distorts the audio unless I make it roughly twice as slow as I want it to be.

so when I make it every 0.07ths of a second, the sound is smooth, but the typing is slow. When I make it 0.03, the sound is distorted due to the speed changes, but the typing is fast. I tried slowing down the actual audio sound effect, but this didn't work.

Can I get some help on this? I have attached a picture.

Sound Speed.PNG

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleFirefly 3D ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Care to share a small example. It will be easier to find a possible fix. When you say audio, do you mean a typing effect or an actual voice over.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had issues with super short sounds with Fusion in the past. Try making the audio file a little bit longer time wise, or try wav versus mp3 and see what might work best for your situation. It is easier for me to have a longer SFX play that I can stop, versus trying to troubleshoot why my SFX won't playback or even be recognized.

Like for example if you want to have a typing on a typewriter or computer keyboard sound, consider looping it or having variations that last .50 to 1 full second and see if that works. You can then have an event or timer stop that sound (sample) from playing after X, Y, or Z.

Try mono versus stereo, and 44khz or 22khz formatted .wav files. Also, don't have your sound effects immediately have sound. If using Audacity, I highly suggest a very slight silence sliver before the wave of the actual sounds starts playing (or have it fade in really fast).

It can also depend on what you are exporting to. Sometimes if you have all your audio assets as mp3s before bringing into Fusion, then you do not have to worry about Fusion compressing them and potentially messing up during your build being made and the end user run time file, in how they playback your sounds.

Each sound or music file you have to look at as its own little "game design" to get them to work best for the intended platform. Fades, timing, frequencies, channels, equalization, normalizing, effects, volumes, 2d/3d space if applicable in game events and more. When you have hundreds of sounds and Windows will play everything great but Flash, HTML, or Android doesn't play back the sounds the exact same way, it gets frustrating trying to narrow it down.

Highly suggest good file and versioning management for all of your game assets and frequent backups of your game builds.

Hope that helps some

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the volume of the source audio file? Likely what is happening is it is clipping the audio above 0dB because the sounds are being played so close together, so the audio is cumulatively stacking in volume, creating the distortion you're hearing when it exceeds the digital ceiling of 0dB.

If you're unfamiliar with this, you can share the source audio file and I can take a look at it for you. The simple fix would be lowering the volume of the source file, if this is indeed the issue.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleFirefly 3D ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the issue is playing short audio files, I'd try .ogg files for audio.