User Tag List

Thread: Disable cleartype (anti-aliasing) on string objects.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Disable cleartype (anti-aliasing) on string objects.

Does anyone know of a way to disable ClearType on string objects, or have an easy alternative to strings that don't use ClearType?

Screenshot 2022-01-02 225903.png

Other threads make it seem the only options I have is to either disable ClearType on my machine entirely (Which may work for the duration of development but afterwards, forcing every player to disable ClearType would be unreasonable) or make a text blitter (which seems like a fair amount of work to implement and I'm considerably lazy). However, those threads are ancient and things may very well have changed since then, whether it be in the form of a different type of string object that doesn't use ClearType, an update to fusion, or a feature in the 2.5+ DLC (which I happen to have).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On Direct3D 8/9, toggling antialiasing on in the string's display options will do it. (for some reason this option is reversed, having it off will enable it, while having it on disables it) If you're using Direct3D 11 then I guess you're out of luck, since the antialiasing option doesn't do anything yet in that mode. I don't know any extensions that can do it easily either.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhadamus View Post
    On Direct3D 8/9, toggling antialiasing on in the string's display options will do it. (for some reason this option is reversed, having it off will enable it, while having it on disables it)
    In the String object this option means "Use internal anti-aliasing instead of Windows anti-aliasing", so if you select it it will disable ClearType. As this option was made for the old standard graohic mode and we don't have any anti-aliasing option in DX9, then yes probably this just disables anti-aliasing in DX9.

And you're correct, in DX11 we don't use Windows routines to display texts and we can't disable it (AFAIK) in the routines we use, you have to use a font that doesn't "show" too much anti-aliasing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. My application does currently use Direct3D 11, though I may downgrade it to get by this issue. Or I might take on the challenge of making an active text blitter. Either way, thank you both so much for your insight

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an extension-less text blitter widget using actives here as well which might be helpful

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleFirefly 3D ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Marbenx,
    thanks for pointing us to the text blitter widget. I had already come across it but never managed to get it to work. But after closely reading BartekB's instructions, it finally worked. Thanks !

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Joe,

If you want an active text blitter, don't reinvent the wheel. I am just finishing up an example of one I'll post it up here asap. Works on all platforms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I'll check it out when it's up.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeAteTheBeans View Post
    Thanks

I'll check it out when it's up.
    Right here my friend!

https://bugbox.clickteam.com/threads/109239-I-made-an-extensionless-text-blitting-and-integer-scaling-example-MFA