User Tag List

Thread: Can you make online games with Steamworks or Google Play Services?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Can you make online games with Steamworks or Google Play Services?

Hey, I was wondering if it's possible to make use of Steamworks or the Google Play Services to set up an online game, instead of setting up the entire network myself through the Lacewing extensions. I'm single-handedly developing a 2D MMO game and I wanna make sure to see what's the most convenient way of doing so.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google discontinued the multiplayer API of Google Play Games long ago. (and these APIs are Android exclusive)
    As far as I know, the Steamworks extension doesn't have any multiplayer support.
    You can only create multiplayer games using Lacewing Blue, you can use a public server, pay someone to host it or host your own.
    Which requires port forwarding and a fixed IP, meaning you won't be able to allow players to host their own servers, but they can host their own channels within your server.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply! I've been working with Lacewing for a while now, and it's great. Regardless, I think it'd be pretty cool if the Steamworks extension was updated to support multiplayer like on Unreal Engine and Unity.