Thread: Running animation not animating

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running animation not animating

Hello, noob here.

Let me just say I recently got CF2.5 and have been having a BLAST with it. I've dreamed of making video games for a long time and I gave up on every previous attempt due to being in over my head. CF2.5 is exactly what I've needed and only wish I knew about it earlier.

Anyway, I'm tinkering around with a platform game and I'm having a hard time with my character's running animation. The animation sequence isn't animating, instead it's stuck on the first frame. I'm usually good at figuring out things like this but I am stumped. I was going to share the .mfa but I can't since it's too large so here's a breakdown of walking/running: (I am using PMO btw)

Repeat while "Right Arrow" is pressed ->
    PMO - User is holding right input key
    player_sprites - Set direction to "Right", Change animation sequence to walking
    Repeat while "Left Arrow" is pressed ->
    PMO - User is holding left input key
    player_sprites - Set direction to "Left", Change animation sequence to walking
    Repeat while "Shift" is pressed AND Object is moving ->
    player_sprites - Change animation sequence to running

The only think I can think of is the actions of pressing right arrow and shift are conflicting with each other, but I don't know if that's the exact problem or how to fix it if it is. If you need any other info let me know. I could also try trimming down the .mfa if you need it.

For anyone who has seen the almightyzentaco video on How to Run, I followed his exact instructions except with my own tweaks to variables and I wanted a separate running animation instead of speeding up the walking animation. Link to the azt video: https://youtu.be/FOZJhnkS-Sw

Thank you for your time

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleFirefly 3D Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Mac Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have any event to set animation to Stopped, it might be flipping between stopped and walking animation, making it appear to be stuck on the first frame.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and thanks for the reply.

I have one event like that and it's as follows: "Object is standing on ground AND Object is NOT moving -> player_sprites Change animation sequence to stopped". This should only apply when the character is standing still, right? Every other animation change is working as it should and I have stopped, walking, jumping, falling, and crouch down. Another thing I forgot to mention is when the character is running the jumping and falling sequences don't work anymore. It's just stuck on that one frame until I let go of the run button.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As NaitorStudios says, it's probably caused by it flipping between two sequences. Probably some event is telling it to switch to a certain animation (not necessarily "stopped", it could be any sequence that's not "walking"), then a later event tells it to switch to "walking". Because it's switching from a different sequence (even though only for a split second so you didn't even see the previous sequence) it defaults to the first frame of the "walking" sequence.

There are a number of ways you can go about finding the culprit. Choose the way that seems most convenient:

1. Inactivate all events that change the sequence to anything other than "walking". Run the game - the walking animation should work. Now reactivate those events one by one, running the game each time, until the walking animation stop working again. Once you find the culprit event, figure out how to make it only trigger when needed.

2. Find every event that changes the sequence to anything other than walking, and add an action to it that plays a sound. Choose a different sound sample for each one. Then run the game, and you'll hear which events are triggering and when. Find the one(s) that are triggering at the same time as your "change to walking' event. You can set a string or counter instead of using sounds, though I find that using sounds is a quick and easy way, as you can easily hear what's going on in multiple events without having to take your eye off the game.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave both methods a try. I understand what they are testing, but after it's done I don't feel any closer to the solution. This is probably my fault, though. I don't think I explained the situation and the events well enough so I attached the .mfa to this reply. I feel like the solution is something so easy but I just can't see it. Either way, I appreciate all your input.
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you hold SHIFT+RIGHT, both of these events are continually triggered:

So it constantly loads the walking animation, then immediately loads the running animation. And because it's 'switching to a new animation', it starts from frame 1 each time. One fix is to split event #8 into 2:

You want the direction and "right input key" to continue to be set regardless whether shift is pressed or not. So that part of the event stays the same. But now the "change animation sequence to walking" part will only be triggered if shift isn't pressed.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like that! Thank you so much for your help, that's exactly what I needed. There is still an "error" that involves jumping while running where the animation sequence doesn't change to jumping, instead it stays on the first frame of the running animation. Good news is I actually like the look of this better than jumping. It makes the character look like they're long jumping. If I needed to I'm sure I could translate the same actions to jumping, but I'm going to keep it as it is.

I don't know how long it would've taken me to come to that conclusion, if at all. One thing I'm starting to understand about coding* is it's not much different from translating one spoken language to another. Sometimes you can directly translate every word of a sentence and it will still make sense, but most of the time it's not that easy. As far as I could tell, my original events made perfect sense and should've worked. Computers, however, have no margin of error for mistranslation.

Thanks again for the help, and this certainly won't be the only time I seek help for this project. I love figuring out things for myself, but I don't always succeed. If you'd like to play the game when it's done I can keep you in the loop.

*Yes I know CF isn't exactly coding, but the principal is the same.

Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is a bit like translating languages but, as you say, with much less margin of error. We can make all sorts of mistakes when translating spoken language and people will still understand us. But computers are dummies who need everything spelt out precisely or they don't get it

I couldn't easily see what the problem was by looking at your code either. So I just stripped it back to the one animation event, and reintroduced the others one by one until it broke.

Good luck with the rest of the game! If you're not back soon with more problems that need fixing, it probably just means your game isn't ambitious enough. (I'm sure you'll be back)