User Tag List

Thread: Loading an external video from AppPath$ + "..." via Active Direct Show doesn't play.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loading an external video from AppPath$ + "..." via Active Direct Show doesn't play.

Okay, so in my project, I need to access a lot of external files that I believe would require too much space to be added in via binary data.

I saw in this thread, https://community.clickteam.com/threads/73335-How-to-use-external-music-files-in-a-game
    that a solution existed where Fusion could play something from a filepath relative to the build file by using the template: AppPath$ + "...filepath..."

However, when I implement this with the Active Direct Show object, the video file doesn't play. My build file output is in a certain directory, and I don't know how to change it. The stuff I need to access is in a different directory entirely.

Clickforward.png
    How I call upon the external file normally

Clickapp.png
    How I assume I should call upon it for when it's built.

How exactly should I use this method of calling upon external files so that when my project eventually is built with an installer, that the content I'm calling upon is usable? (or built in to a directory accessable by the .exe?).

I'm a little ahead of myself in a territory I don't know very well, since coding my game isn't close to done, but since I'm dealing with so many files to code in, I want to get a correct workflow figured out now rather than later.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a codec issue. AVI files are not easy to get working. Try downloading the codec used for your AVI file. Note that the people playing your game will also need to download that codec.

If you had 2.5+ you could use an MP4 and use DirectX 11 Media Foundation, which is far more easier to get working but according to your profile you don't seem to own 2.5+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    edit: What folder is your exe in? Because in Apppath$ you shouldn't include the root directory of the exe, like for example if you used Apppath$ + "My Game/Data/Video.avi", you should be using Apppath$ + "/Data/Video.avi"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I believe I only have Clickteam Fusion 2.5 through steam.

However, I am able to play the .avi file just fine in Windows Media Player and also in Clickteam Fusion if I use the regular directory.

I also have the option for DirectX 11 Media Foundation as well, which I have ticked on under the properties of the Active Direct Show object.

I believe I chose the .avi format because I was having problems with mp4 or maybe I was convinced by someone .avi would be better.

Perhaps my issue is just that I need all my game content to be all under the same folder with the build file while I'm working on it for the relative path to work, is that correct?

If so, can you tell me how to change the file output path for a build? It gave me a prompt earlier to choose the directory, but since then it doesn't anymore.

I've been away from Clickteam for several months, so I'm just getting back into the hang of things, so I apologize if this is a basic request.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThewalkingSsj2 View Post
    Hmm, I believe I only have Clickteam Fusion 2.5 through steam.

However, I am able to play the .avi file just fine in Windows Media Player and also in Clickteam Fusion if I use the regular directory.

I also have the option for DirectX 11 Media Foundation as well, which I have ticked on under the properties of the Active Direct Show object.

I believe I chose the .avi format because I was having problems with mp4 or maybe I was convinced by someone .avi would be better.

Perhaps my issue is just that I need all my game content to be all under the same folder with the build file while I'm working on it for the relative path to work, is that correct?

If so, can you tell me how to change the file output path for a build? It gave me a prompt earlier to choose the directory, but since then it doesn't anymore.

I've been away from Clickteam for several months, so I'm just getting back into the hang of things, so I apologize if this is a basic request.
    If I understand you correctly, to change the build output path a file explorer will just pop up, and just build it in the directory you want to build it in. I do this by clicking File at the top, then Build - Application

Another way of doing this is by going to the properties of your app and changing the Build Filename

d6jul74jty.png

For your game content being in the same folder, I'm pretty sure that is correct, but I will need a fact check on that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, thank you so much, you've been a great help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, thank you so much, you've been a great help!
    You're welcome!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I made a new folder for all my game content, put all the external files into that folder and also made set folder as the build filepath.

I put the Apppath$ +"..." in, and it actually works! The video plays!

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I made a new folder for all my game content, put all the external files into that folder and also made set folder as the build filepath.

I put the Apppath$ +"..." in, and it actually works! The video plays!

Thanks for your help!
    Glad I was able to help and you got it working!