User Tag List

Thread: Does saving with INI slow a game down

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does saving with INI slow a game down

Hi,
    I'm considering implementing an auto-save feature for my games but I'm not sure how often I should save to an INI. I want the saving to work on all HTML5 platforms (computers and mobile), but I don't want it to slow down the game. How often would be recommended to auto-save without causing problems? Thanks!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do an always event it is pretty rare to make the game slow down unless you are making like 100 ini items in a second.
    You can do every second. It shouldn't hurt!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try to maximize performance considering that it will have to work on mobile, an automatic save would be preferable perhaps reaching a goal, for example even every 100 coins collected

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your thoughts. I was thinking of auto-saving after reaching specific checkpoints, like every frame transition, and also maybe every 5 minutes or so. It sounds like that should be ok based on your responses. Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried implementing a time-based saving system and found that it works fine for saving strings but not for values or positions of objects. Has anyone else seen this?
    The code was set to save strings, a value, and a position every few seconds. It saves strings no problem, but won't save the others. It this a limitation of the INI? Do you have to click a button to make it work for saving values or positions? Note: Saving values and positions worked when it was a button but not when timer-based (same event other than the trigger being different). Any thoughts? Thanks,
    Brett

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind... I made an error and I figured it out...