User Tag List

Thread: Using one INI for save slots

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using one INI for save slots

I may ask, is this possible to use one INI extension to make multiple save slots for the game to save? INI++ May also count probably. I've tried to look for some examples like these ones:
    https://community.clickteam.com/threads/73756-Best-way-to-do-multiple-Save-Slots
    https://community.clickteam.com/threads/96902-Saving-Global-Values-(Multiple-Save-files)?highlight=Multiple+files

I don't think that (file to use) = "SAVE" + Str$(fileselected) + ".ini" is making sense to me, idk what to start with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumping this, hopefully anyone knows to answer the solution.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not very familiar with the INI object. But with the INI++ object, you could do something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by ARS View Post
    I don't think that (file to use) = "SAVE" + Str$(fileselected) + ".ini" is making sense to me, idk what to start with.

The example I showed above hard-codes the filenames (savegame1.ini, savegame2.ini, savegame3.ini). But you could also select the filename dynamically, which is what the code you've quoted is suggesting. For example, you could do something like this (it would save to the exact same filenames as my above example):

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried to do that but there's one problem, if I select the other slot with empty data, it would load the same data from the first slot. Also the counter sets to zero for some reason when I restart the app.

SaveLoad++.mfa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nevermind, I just had to use the regular Ini extension and worked for me!

But the save file strangely highlights at the one selected slot, idk how am I going to do with it. Also is there's a way to make simply Right click at the slot to erase its saved data?

Working Slots.mfa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump, I'm still waiting for the INI++ solution, cuz the google search only refers to the regular INI extension and I've tried to find any working examples.
    I've tried to do that but there's one problem, if I select the other slot with empty data, it would load the same data from the first slot. Also the counter sets to zero for some reason when I restart the app.

SaveLoad++.mfa

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may ask, is this possible to use one INI extension to make multiple save slots for the game to save? INI++ May also count probably. I've tried to look for some examples like these ones:
    https://community.clickteam.com/threads/73756-Best-way-to-do-multiple-Save-Slots
    https://community.clickteam.com/threads/96902-Saving-Global-Values-(Multiple-Save-files)?highlight=Multiple+files

I use List Object. So much easier and is visual in one location within the Environment you are working on.
    Not to mention works in ANDROID and Windows with ease.

Super Mario Example
    I.E. File Name = MarioSaveInfo.ABC < List Object understands this is a List File regardless of the Extension end. Which makes it even better as typical users don't understand how to open it.

AUTO SAVE = MarioSaveinfo.ABC is the Same as all Variables. Run this event once when loops. Save List File MarioSaveinfo.ABC
    Auto Repair Save = MarioSaveinfo.ABC is Different then all Variables. Change line ?
    List File itself

1) Player Lives
    2) Player Power
    3) PLAYER X Position
    4) PLAYER Y Position
    5) Player Inventory Mushroom 0-999999999
    6) Player Inventory Fire Flower 0-999999999
    7) Player Inventory Tail 0-999999999
    etc

Then you can link these all to the Environment Variables at the Start, During and End of any Game.
    Say the Player picks up a Fire Flower. This would trigger the Variable for the game to change on line 6 and auto save.

1) 3
    2) 100
    3) 98
    4) 102
    5) 0
    6) 1
    7) 0
    etc

Player picks up a Mushroom in the same location.

1) 3
    2) 100
    3) 98
    4) 102
    5) 1
    6) 1
    7) 0
    etc

Player picks up a Tail in the same Location.

1) 3
    2) 100
    3) 98
    4) 102
    5) 1
    6) 1
    7) 1
    etc

Player move and picks up another Mushroom.

1) 3
    2) 100
    3) 250
    4) 102
    5) 2
    6) 1
    7) 1
    etc

Last, Player gets Hurt. Lost one life and has inventory change / picked up a mushroom.

1) 2
    2) 25
    3) 100
    4) 102
    5) 3
    6) 1
    7) 1
    etc

Thus, when the player Continues this game in the future. They have exactly what they had when they left and are in the Exact Same spot they left off at.
    Obviously, you'd need to have a Continue function the user can click to load the savegame MarioSaveinfo.ABC

You could even make numerous Saves by allowing the user to name their Saves. Editbox +".ABC"

You can also add Enemy Positions and Enemies remaining to the save files. This way if the user killed 5 out of 10 enemies. When they continue the game. 5 Specific Enemies would remain in their exact locations.

Not to mention in app Updates you can simply add a line for Player only Specific Data. ( Plan this ahead of time to make it easier / I.E. Make a Player Only Save file and a Default Enemy Save File "EDITBOX"+_ENEMIES.ABC"
    This way the Enemies Save info is linked to the Player's Save Info File. Two Files that the user Creates. One for themselves and one hidden for the Enemies.

Just an Idea. I personally never use INI for any saves. I Tried it a few times, but didn't like having to look through the code in order to add or remove something for saving. I also didn't like the layers of Labeling to get to specific Values or Strings.

I also Use this to rewind games during play. However, that is another topic and requires multiple list files.

Hope this gives you another option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VBEinc View Post
    I use List Object. So much easier and is visual in one location within the Environment you are working on.
    Not to mention works in ANDROID and Windows with ease.

Super Mario Example
    I.E. File Name = MarioSaveInfo.ABC < List Object understands this is a List File regardless of the Extension end. Which makes it even better as typical users don't understand how to open it.

AUTO SAVE = MarioSaveinfo.ABC is the Same as all Variables. Run this event once when loops. Save List File MarioSaveinfo.ABC
    Auto Repair Save = MarioSaveinfo.ABC is Different then all Variables. Change line ?
    List File itself

1) Player Lives
    2) Player Power
    3) PLAYER X Position
    4) PLAYER Y Position
    5) Player Inventory Mushroom 0-999999999
    6) Player Inventory Fire Flower 0-999999999
    7) Player Inventory Tail 0-999999999
    etc

Then you can link these all to the Environment Variables at the Start, During and End of any Game.
    Say the Player picks up a Fire Flower. This would trigger the Variable for the game to change on line 6 and auto save.

1) 3
    2) 100
    3) 98
    4) 102
    5) 0
    6) 1
    7) 0
    etc

Player picks up a Mushroom in the same location.

1) 3
    2) 100
    3) 98
    4) 102
    5) 1
    6) 1
    7) 0
    etc

Player picks up a Tail in the same Location.

1) 3
    2) 100
    3) 98
    4) 102
    5) 1
    6) 1
    7) 1
    etc

Player move and picks up another Mushroom.

1) 3
    2) 100
    3) 250
    4) 102
    5) 2
    6) 1
    7) 1
    etc

Last, Player gets Hurt. Lost one life and has inventory change / picked up a mushroom.

1) 2
    2) 25
    3) 100
    4) 102
    5) 3
    6) 1
    7) 1
    etc

Thus, when the player Continues this game in the future. They have exactly what they had when they left and are in the Exact Same spot they left off at.
    Obviously, you'd need to have a Continue function the user can click to load the savegame MarioSaveinfo.ABC

You could even make numerous Saves by allowing the user to name their Saves. Editbox +".ABC"

You can also add Enemy Positions and Enemies remaining to the save files. This way if the user killed 5 out of 10 enemies. When they continue the game. 5 Specific Enemies would remain in their exact locations.

Not to mention in app Updates you can simply add a line for Player only Specific Data. ( Plan this ahead of time to make it easier / I.E. Make a Player Only Save file and a Default Enemy Save File "EDITBOX"+_ENEMIES.ABC"
    This way the Enemies Save info is linked to the Player's Save Info File. Two Files that the user Creates. One for themselves and one hidden for the Enemies.

Just an Idea. I personally never use INI for any saves. I Tried it a few times, but didn't like having to look through the code in order to add or remove something for saving. I also didn't like the layers of Labeling to get to specific Values or Strings.

I also Use this to rewind games during play. However, that is another topic and requires multiple list files.

Hope this gives you another option.
    Well, I don't use List object, it's hard and may be very complicated. I'm talking about INI++.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well actually turns out that INI++ is affecting the Memory for some reason, I'll be switching on the rugular INI.