User Tag List

Thread: Returning and Using Strings

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Returning and Using Strings

Since all extensions will have to be recompiled anyway, I was wondering if any had given any thought to conventions regarding strings. Here are a few questions I'd like to have answered:

-Is null an acceptable return value? Will an extension ever be passed null? (I'm guessing the answer to the first question will answer the second.)
    -If a string is passed to a function, can that function modify it? I would imagine that this would be a bad thing to do but that really depends on the answer to my next question.
    -If a function is returning a string, should it ever return a pointer to one of its internal strings? SHould it always return a copy?

These are a few things that bothered me in previous extensions. I know that MMF never used null strings, but I know that a few 3EE extensions did return them, which could cause other extensions (that were not expecting nulls) to crash.

I also saw another scenario where the Associative Array object would return a pointer to one of its interanl strings and then a function in another object (String Manipulator maybe) would modify that string directly, causing AssArray to exhibit odd behavior.

I would just like to avoid these scenarios in MMF2 if at all possible. Conventions on these sorts of things would be nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Returning and Using Strings

Since all extensions will have to be recompiled anyway, I was wondering if any had given any thought to conventions regarding strings. Here are a few questions I'd like to have answered:

-Is null an acceptable return value? Will an extension ever be passed null? (I'm guessing the answer to the first question will answer the second.)
    -If a string is passed to a function, can that function modify it? I would imagine that this would be a bad thing to do but that really depends on the answer to my next question.
    -If a function is returning a string, should it ever return a pointer to one of its internal strings? SHould it always return a copy?

These are a few things that bothered me in previous extensions. I know that MMF never used null strings, but I know that a few 3EE extensions did return them, which could cause other extensions (that were not expecting nulls) to crash.

I also saw another scenario where the Associative Array object would return a pointer to one of its interanl strings and then a function in another object (String Manipulator maybe) would modify that string directly, causing AssArray to exhibit odd behavior.

I would just like to avoid these scenarios in MMF2 if at all possible. Conventions on these sorts of things would be nice.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Re: Returning and Using Strings

>> -Is null an acceptable return value?

No, you must not return NULL. Return an empty string if necessary.

>> Will an extension ever be passed null?

Theoretically no, but practically yes : there might be bugs or another extension could return NULL and MMF2 could pass it to your function directly without processing it

=> you should always test if a string parameter is NULL.

>> If a string is passed to a function, can that function modify it?

No, you must not modify it.

>> If a function is returning a string, should it ever return a pointer to one of its internal strings?

It can return a pointer to an internal string. MMF2 will make a copy if necessary.

>> Should it always return a copy?

No.

Note: if you want to allocate memory for returning a string, use a callRuntimeFunction ( ... RFUNCTION_GETSTRINGSPACE_EX ... ). MMF2 frees strings allocated with this function when it no longer needs them.

>> I know that a few 3EE extensions did return them, which could cause other extensions (that were not expecting nulls) to crash.

Yes, that's what I said above.

>> the Associative Array object would return a pointer to one of its interanl strings
    >> and then a function in another object (String Manipulator maybe) would modify that string directly

Bad practice, you must not modify strings passed as parameters.

Yves.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

>> -Is null an acceptable return value?

No, you must not return NULL. Return an empty string if necessary.

>> Will an extension ever be passed null?

Theoretically no, but practically yes : there might be bugs or another extension could return NULL and MMF2 could pass it to your function directly without processing it

=> you should always test if a string parameter is NULL.

>> If a string is passed to a function, can that function modify it?

No, you must not modify it.

>> If a function is returning a string, should it ever return a pointer to one of its internal strings?

It can return a pointer to an internal string. MMF2 will make a copy if necessary.

>> Should it always return a copy?

No.

Note: if you want to allocate memory for returning a string, use a callRuntimeFunction ( ... RFUNCTION_GETSTRINGSPACE_EX ... ). MMF2 frees strings allocated with this function when it no longer needs them.

>> I know that a few 3EE extensions did return them, which could cause other extensions (that were not expecting nulls) to crash.

Yes, that's what I said above.

>> the Associative Array object would return a pointer to one of its interanl strings
    >> and then a function in another object (String Manipulator maybe) would modify that string directly

Bad practice, you must not modify strings passed as parameters.

Yves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Yves.

These were the answers I was hpoing for. It might be worth noting the caveat about not modifying passed strings in the EXPPARAM_STRING and PARAM_EXPSTRING sections of the SDK help and noting the warning not to return NULL in the EXPFLAG_STRING section.

Thanks,
    -Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Yves.

These were the answers I was hpoing for. It might be worth noting the caveat about not modifying passed strings in the EXPPARAM_STRING and PARAM_EXPSTRING sections of the SDK help and noting the warning not to return NULL in the EXPFLAG_STRING section.

Thanks,
    -Matt