Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Patch Maker

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Patch Maker

I've used Patch Maker...mostly to make patches for game EXEs created in MMF...whenever I create a patch (even after changing just one thing, like moving an object over one pixel) the patch file is still only a half a megabyte smaller than the new EXE. So, there seems to be no benefit to using Patch Maker because zipping the new EXE gives me a file of smaller size =/. Anyone else have this problem?

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used Patch Maker...mostly to make patches for game EXEs created in MMF...whenever I create a patch (even after changing just one thing, like moving an object over one pixel) the patch file is still only a half a megabyte smaller than the new EXE. So, there seems to be no benefit to using Patch Maker because zipping the new EXE gives me a file of smaller size =/. Anyone else have this problem?

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

EXE's created with MMF contains compressed blocks (block = for an example an image, a sound, a list of objects, etc). If a single byte changes in source data to compress, then the whole compressed data changes, making the detection of differences between the old compressed data and the new one totally impossible. If the block is small, Patch Maker will just zip it and pass to the next one, usually that works fine. However, due to the algorithm used by Patch Maker, when a modified block is too big (> 256 Kb if I remember correctly), Patch Maker is unable to detect the next block that has not been modified, it loses the synchronisation between files and in the end just zips the new file.

Patch Maker works better with files that are not compressed (and do not contain big different areas).

Yves.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

EXE's created with MMF contains compressed blocks (block = for an example an image, a sound, a list of objects, etc). If a single byte changes in source data to compress, then the whole compressed data changes, making the detection of differences between the old compressed data and the new one totally impossible. If the block is small, Patch Maker will just zip it and pass to the next one, usually that works fine. However, due to the algorithm used by Patch Maker, when a modified block is too big (> 256 Kb if I remember correctly), Patch Maker is unable to detect the next block that has not been modified, it loses the synchronisation between files and in the end just zips the new file.

Patch Maker works better with files that are not compressed (and do not contain big different areas).

Yves.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

>> When will patchmaker 2 arrive?

Not sure yet, we are currently developing a new version but it's far from being ready to be released.

Yves.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

>> When will patchmaker 2 arrive?

Not sure yet, we are currently developing a new version but it's far from being ready to be released.

Yves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2