User Tag List

Thread: support for unicode / utf

labmonkey

support for unicode / utf

I just downloaded the demo for mmf2dev last night and have been playing around since then. One aspect of the product which has been bothering me is the lack of unicode / utf for the string and text objects (the objects you'd expect unicode to be critical!) It works somewhat with the interface, although not with the tooltips announcing the names of objects but I can live with that. However typing Japanese or Chinese text into the string object still produces garbage text, this is even on fonts designed for asian characters (simsun, ms gothic, arial.) I think I remember reading in a transcript from one of the conventions Yves spoke at that Clickteam wanted to push the product into Taiwan or something and so were keen on applying unicode support for mmf2.

Is there anyway to get the string, or any of the other text objects, to support asian characters? Or will this be covered in a patch or something?

labmonkey

support for unicode / utf

I just downloaded the demo for mmf2dev last night and have been playing around since then. One aspect of the product which has been bothering me is the lack of unicode / utf for the string and text objects (the objects you'd expect unicode to be critical!) It works somewhat with the interface, although not with the tooltips announcing the names of objects but I can live with that. However typing Japanese or Chinese text into the string object still produces garbage text, this is even on fonts designed for asian characters (simsun, ms gothic, arial.) I think I remember reading in a transcript from one of the conventions Yves spoke at that Clickteam wanted to push the product into Taiwan or something and so were keen on applying unicode support for mmf2.

Is there anyway to get the string, or any of the other text objects, to support asian characters? Or will this be covered in a patch or something?

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Re: support for unicode / utf

There is no unicode support in MMF2, sorry. Had no time to implement it... That will be for MMF3, that can't be implemented in a patch. To make a MMF2 (or MMF 1.5) application work in a given language under Windows XP, there are 2 (non ideal) solutions:

1. Windows XP displays non-Unicode applications using the code page defined in the Control Panel / Language Settings / Advanced Options tab, "Language for non-Unicode programs" option. Select the language of your application.

2. Another solution is to use the Microsoft AppLocale application. You install this application, you run it and you tell it in which language you want to execute specific applications.

Yves.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Re: support for unicode / utf

There is no unicode support in MMF2, sorry. Had no time to implement it... That will be for MMF3, that can't be implemented in a patch. To make a MMF2 (or MMF 1.5) application work in a given language under Windows XP, there are 2 (non ideal) solutions:

1. Windows XP displays non-Unicode applications using the code page defined in the Control Panel / Language Settings / Advanced Options tab, "Language for non-Unicode programs" option. Select the language of your application.

2. Another solution is to use the Microsoft AppLocale application. You install this application, you run it and you tell it in which language you want to execute specific applications.

Yves.