User Tag List

Thread: Byte, Short, Long etc

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Byte, Short, Long etc

I tried searching the forums as to make sure it wasn't asked multiple times before and I couldn't find what I was looking for so...

Is there a way you can specify a value as byte, short, long etc? It would be very very useful for applications using MooClick for example, since MooClick sends data using a byte per letter/number. But if you had a value that only needed to be a max of 256 (BYTE) that can be fitted into a single byte instead of 3 bytes. Same goes for if you wanted to have a max of 65536 in a value which would be considered a SHORT and only takes two bytes instead of MooClicks default 5 extra bytes. If there is an easy way to do this already any information would be great. I know it is possible to do it, but the only ways I have thought of require some annoying work arounds.

And also I know some of you are thinking the difference between a couple bytes is pretty obsessive or useless, but if you ever get around to coding a multiplayer game, you will see that those couple bytes can make an enormous impact to the bandwidth usage in your game. So I find it critical to be as efficient as you can in the first place. Anyways, thanks for any help.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Byte, Short, Long etc

I not familiar with MooAPI but you can try this article over at the Wiki, may give you some clues.
    http://www.clickwiki.info/index.php/MOOAPI

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not quite what I was looking for, thanks for trying though.
    The Byte, Short, Long stuff can be used in anything, not just Moo, although it really shines in sending/receiving data since it is so useful and efficient.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About the MOO part:

Sorry zellix at the moment the way the Moo API works you cant send values, only strings (Moo Game does allow it but addes more data on top to achieve then just sending a string with Moo Click)

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any idea if this is a planned feature for the future? I think it would be a massive plus to the extension. I guess for now I can use the work around using ASCII letters sent, then converting them to a value on both sides. Although I am curious why MooGame needs to add more data on top to achieve sending a value. If it is because it wants to let the server know it sent a value instead of a string, I think it should be the programmer who figures that out. Say someone sends coordinate data on channel 3, well then the programmer can tell the server that all data on channel 3, except for the delimiter if one is used, is all in value format. Just an idea. But anyways, thanks for the response, guess I will go ahead and try the workaround for the moment.