Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The randomly crashing atmospheres engine

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The randomly crashing atmospheres engine

I'm working on a game called Knytt, which crashes randomly. I finally managed to figure out that it's probably the sub-app which plays atmosphere sounds, that cause the application to crash.

Now I've created an example. I simplfied the atmospheres engine and made it into it's own application. Instead of being controlled by the location of the player, you controll it with the arrow keys.

Download it from here

If you move the marker around like crazy (using the arrow keys), and randomly hit "restart frame", it should crash very soon. What this means for the game, is that it sometimes crash when you close the application. But there's also many cases when it crashes without any frame actually being restarted.

note: I didn't do anything to prevent the marker being out of the screen area. It starts at the top/left corner, so just keep it within the window area.

I wonder why this happens. I can't think of anything I did wrong. In either case, I will not be able to release Knytt before this is fixed.

Edit: I've tried more. What I do not get, is that now I can't make it crash. Sometimes it crashes very easily, and sometimes it doesn't at all. But I've noticed it with Knytt too. Sometimes it works perfectly for a lot of time... then it starts to crash often. It's like it happens in periods. All I know is that I've tried the compiled version on different PC's with different specs, and I've had crashes on them all. I don't understand this

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The randomly crashing atmospheres engine

I think this is something to do with the problem with .ogg files that a few people were talking about earlier - sometimes playing a lot of them will crash the game. I'm not really sure if a fix was found for this.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't get it to crash (i recently reinstalled mmf2, and have not downloaded the updated builds yet), maybe the newer builds cause a problem with your application?

I am now downloading the updates and will reply again when i have tested it with the updates installed.

Edit: I updated to the latest build and the application crashed almost instantly, i guess you should just tell Clickteam and wait for a new update.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No crashing here. It might be a codec problem..?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those smooth fades, I need to play many oggs at the same time. Otherwise I would have to use .wav's, and my game would grow to a size of at least 50MB, only for the atmosphere sounds.

I'm just a bit scared what would happen if this actually won't be fixed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No crashing here. It might be a codec problem..?
    It does crash on several machines for me. I can't imagine it's a codec problem, MMF2 use it's own internal .ogg player afaik, so it should be identical on all machines.

It also depends on how/when you move around the marker and hit the "restart frame" button. I've not learnt a way that always crashes the application, but it certainly depends on how you do it. You might have to try for a while before anything happens.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I updated to the latest build and the application crashed almost instantly, i guess you should just tell Clickteam and wait for a new update.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, this is the tread in which I'm telling them

I wish I could understand why it happens in periods... now I can't trigger the bug at all, it was really easy just an hour ago. I have not rebooted the PC in between.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

No crash here... maybe the OGG filter does something that some sound drivers don't like. I'll try on other machines to try to reproduce it.

Yves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did. It happens on every PC I have tried Knytt on, and for almost every beta tester (over 8 people) who have tried the game for a longer period. They all report the same kind of errors. "Crash upon exiting the application" or "random crashes" - the same things as I have. I can't think of anyone who have not had crashes with Knytt who have played it for a while. It's definitely not this PC, it happens everywhere I try Knytt - but then I usually play for at least an hour.

I use build 242, but I've also had problems with the earlier. I never had any problems with oggs on this system with other software, I play them all the time. Also, I'm a musician, so I do practically everything sound/music related thing there is with this PC.

The problem about this bug, is that it's so random. Sometimes it happens all the time, sometimes it just won't happen at all for a day.

It's a nightmare to fix, as I can not make out any sort of pattern about when it happens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast