Note: The second post contains some new stuff I found out! "pure virtual function call"?
I tried to create the simplest possible program that would generate the crash that I've had related to sounds.
New crasing example from October 25 - note that this version was created with the demo version of MMF2 (which is what I have at work), but I have the same crashes at home with build 242, so that shouldn't be the problem. Here's another more complex example that also cause the same crash, created with build 242.
What I know so far:
* I've had crashes with 3 different PC's (home, work, friend), with different specs and soundcards.
* At least 8 people who tested beta versions of my game Knytt (which has this problem too) reported crashes.
* It doesn't happen on every PC. A lot of people have never had any problem with Knytt or my crashing examples.
* It happens in "periods", on all PC's I've had this trouble with. Sometimes I can run the examples over an hour without a single crash. Sometimes the crash will happen 5 seconds after application start, 20 times in a row. If it doesn't crash when you try it, wait a while and try again, and suddenly it might happen.
* It does not happen if the sounds are triggered with "play sample". Only if you ask them to play on a specific channel. I believe it sometimes happens when you play a sample on a channel where something is already playing - although I still get the bug if I use "stop channel" before starting to play the next sound.
The thing is, I'm really getting somewhere with my game Knytt now, it only needs more music and sound. I'm just really scared about having a completed game I can't release (obviously, clickteam don't have the crashes, which makes the actual problem so hard to identify)
I suppose I can always pay someone to make a sound extension.