User Tag List

Thread: Collisions.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Collisions.

Collisions are sending me around the bend at the moment. I was wondering if I could call up on some knowledgable Clickers for a hand with the problem.

I have an active object that flys to the right, when it hits another active object, or obstacle, I want it to stop instantly. The problem is, it always goes a few pixels into the object before it stops. As the game is based on precision columns and rows, there's really no room for this error. Is there any way to step up the detection and it's reaction speed?

(This happens regardless of the method of movement I use, whether it be a custom one, Ball or Vector, all the same)

All ideas are greatly appreciated.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Collisions.

You can't really increase the reaction speed as such - an object doesn't move pixel by pixel, but is moved a certain number of pixels per frame, and when its pixels overlap with those of another object, it's counted as a collision. (Obvious so far.) The default player-controlled movements have mechanisms in place to correct this, but for most movements you have to do it yourself.

I think the Move Safely object might be what you want - I've never used it myself, but it can quickly and easily get objects to move without embedding themselves in obstacles... I think.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could also add an extra event:

Object is overlapping Backdrop -> set X-position to X(Object)-1

If you wrap the whole thing up in a loop it will be even faster
    so nobody will see that the 'glitch' is corrected.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your game is based on columns and rows, then you shouldn't use such a movement ! Make a reliable system to move from a cell to another one, with just a test to be sure this cell is free. You could then make a smooth movement for each move, with no collision detection

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally I was using a method similar to that Corentin.

The 'blocks' in the game will be moving Horizontally, from the left of the screen to the right. When they hit a wall, they'll stop dead and move Vertically to the bottom of the screen. The blocks have to move fast, yet smoothly. The placement of the 'walls' will be dynamic, though.