User Tag List

Thread: online level editor

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

online level editor

i've got a question, o knowledgable ones: is it possible to have an online game with a level editor that users could create levels in and save them somewhere on my server so that they are added to the pool of levels that are playable in the game? i've built the editor, and it saves the levels as arrays, but this is my first attept at an online game, and i have no idea how to FTP or whatever with MMF or load extrernal files from an online source.
    i'm not asking for a demo, but i'd appreciate any advice that you more experienced clickers could offer. thanks guys.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: online level editor

If you know how to use PHP with mysql then you can make a backend on a web server; create the data structure you want for the maps in mysql and send the info via php to the database. You can then qery this from a website to produce a GUI display of the map using GIF images etc.. Blah blah....as well as from your client gaming application. Cool eh?

You can also use FTP but I would suggest creating an account you don't mind being hacked as FTP sends unencrypted passwords and you are more likely to be able to send a web request for PHP than a port 21 request on most networks.

Or you could create your own moo server that managed the maps. from your home You create the maps and when a client connects, the maps are sent in text format to them.

Lots of examples there for you to get your teeth stuck into.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the reply. i guess my problem is not knowing what to do but how to do it. i don't really know how to do any of those methods you mentioned. what i need to figure out is a way to save the array file from the MMF program (running through vitalize online) to my server, with the ability to load that and other files from that directory into the MMF program.

i've been messing around with it, how does this sound: is it possible to save the array to a emp folder on the user's harddrive, and FTP inside of MMF automatically to upload that file to my server? i just want to figure out the easiest way. any ideas, guys?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want easy, just save the array in CSV (comma separated valuse) and blast it via a moo server. Or just upload your levels to a website for clients to download from. I's use moo because it's easy to send text strings with this. Or allow users to email levels to an inbox for vetting by yourself. I just thought of that one There are loads of ways you can get the information around the net.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need an application side server to be able to run MOO.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that Moo Server with map file communication after saving it as a CVS sounds pretty sweet. As long as you don't mind host the Moo server. That means, your PC's gotte be on all the time and have your server program running.

I mean, I guess you don't need server side stuff. You could probably get away with just using a public moo server too.

Just sign people onto some channel, where they can send messages to each other, which will contain the map file data (in CVS form, or what-not).
    But that way everyone who wants to share their map needs to stay on. That's silly I guess.

OK, so back to the dedicated server idea. Unless...does one of the public Moo servers do IMIs? Haha, never thought I'd say this but IMIs seems like a good idea here. I mean, map data is free info. Everyone can change it, delete it, write it, fair game. Sounds good. Right, so you could let people save their map files to a server-side IMI, and also let people get the map files from that same IMI.

Otherwise, just make your own dedicated server do the same thing, but do it yourself. So if someone sends the server "uploadMap+My Map Name+01010111000111", the server saves that, and if someone sends "getMap+My Map Name" the server replies "01010111000111". Where all the binary bs is the map data. haha

You could also make uploads fail if the map already existed. So people couldn't screw up other people's maps. heh
    Oh, and perhaps keeping in index of all the maps uploaded would be nice. So users can chose what to download.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be great if the IMIs had restricted access - such as limiting them to a specific folder set up on the server, and passwords.

About the CSV method - are long messages broken down automatically by the MooAPI? The longer the messages you send, the higher the risk of it getting lost or corrupted on the way, and then having to be resent. If they're smaller, they're not too much of a loss, right?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Send the message along a TCP request not UDP. you can code in your own error checking, or construct a hash at the beginning or end of the map send to make sure it sent ok. eg:
    Event would go along the lines of
    read map
    make hash,
    send hash to client
    send map
    send finished
    then the other client will check map when it recieves the finish command.
    Map ok? save
    Map not ok resend.
    It's a good idea to write your thinking down on paper to make it easier to contruct the events in MMF.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJFuego
    ...It's a good idea to write your thinking down on paper to make it easier to contruct the events in MMF.
    (Off-topic) I totally agree. I plan out communication pathways, the structure of frames, events and loads of other things on both my white board and a good old pad and pen Best way

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

allright, thanks guys. since this is my first online game attept, i'll need to go read some tutorials on moo and whatnot. thanks for all the advice. i mean, even if i can't manage to figure any of that out, i can always have the game save the levels to the users harddrive, and they could then mail them to me to post online or post it themselves through a php script upload page. i guess i should go try some of the ideas out now. thanks again, guys.