No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

creating folders on install?

Hi - great program guys. Thanks.

The problem:

I am installing four file folders, 1 to one folder called <aircraft>, 3 to a second folder higher up the tree called <gauges>.

The main install directory is the one for the aircraft folder. If the folder within <aircraft> doesn't exist, CI asks if I want a folder created? Yes please. All is good.

The other three folders are then sent to the folder called <gauges>. I know how to do this - bottom right window of GUI-windows-other-path. There is no problem getting the 'content' of my parent folders into the destination folder, but I can't get CI to create the three folders for this info to go into. If it doesn't go into three appropriately named folders then the information will not be revealed in the correct path when the program opens i.e. no gauges.

I have tried including <\> at the end of the path, and I've tried it without. Of course, I could just create the folders manually, but then why have an installer?

I'm sure there is a simple way to do this? I have had a pretty good look at the info here, but nothing seems to answer this one for me.

In summary, I can install to different areas, but I can't get the folders to 'create' in a new directory, only their content?

PLEASE help. I am way behind with this project already. Now it's just the install package that's holding me up :-(

Cheers
    Gair

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: creating folders on install?

O.K. so I screwed up. In the interest of anyone else experiencing the same 'screwy mindset' this is what I was trying to do.

Source folder had four folders in it. I wanted three to go to a separate location to the first folder, and they needed to create themselves AS folders when they got there.

My four folders were called, roughly,
    <aircraftXX>
    <GaugeOne>
    <GaugeTwo>
    <Gaugethree>

The aircraft went to the <aircraft> folder in FS2004 as the MAIN INSTALL DIRECTORY using Click Install.

In the drop down list on the left of the GUI in Click Install was listed the folders and their contents.
    e.g.
    GaugeOne\HSI
    GaugeOne\AI
    etc
    etc

I highlighted all of the files beginning with GaugeOne (i.e. all of the CONTENTS of the 'GaugeOne' FOLDER in the SOURCE FILE). leave them highlighted, go down to the bottom right, click the 'windows' tab, select the drop-down and select 'other'. In the next window space down you can either type or 'paste' the path/destination for your files. (tip: you can right click the file, select 'properties', select general and 'copy' the path that presents itself to the right of 'location')

For me this was something like...

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FS9\Gauges

Now, when I tried it like this I assumed that, because the source folder had a folder in it called GaugeOne, and the files listed in the left panel og the Click Install GUI had GaugeOne\ before the file information... I assumed the folders would install as folders. They didn't. They just installed the contents of the folders to;

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FS9\Gauges

HOW DO YOU DO IT?

On the left side of the Click Install GUI, highlight all of the folders that start with, in this example, GaugeOne\xxx. Complete the steps outlined above for the destination, but when you type the path you must type;

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FS9\Gauges\GaugeOne

Select all the files starting with GaugeTwo\xxx, repeat the steps above and for the destination type;

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FS9\Gauges\GaugeTwo

You probably see the pattern now

Anyway, I had an issue with this. I solved it, albeit with a bit of a red face [blush] and thought I should share my answer with the forum in case someone else is wondering how to do it

Cheers
    Gair

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Re: creating folders on install?

Yes, the original folder is ignored when you install a file to a custom directory, you have to specify it in the install path.

Just a note: you should replace C:\Program Files by #Program Files#, as the pathname of this folder may be different.

Yves.