User Tag List

Thread: Externally-stored tiles for level editing

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Externally-stored tiles for level editing

Like a lot of people these days, recently I've been venturing into the area of constructing a level editor within my latest project so that externally-stored level files can be created and read by the game (my eventual aim is to allow online storage and retrieval of extra levels). The editor itself hasn't been much of a problem - it's based on a three-dimensional array, with layers for backdrops, pickups and other objects.

The part I'm thinking about at the moment is getting the level tiles (the ones that make up the background) to be stored externally as well, rather than within the game as objects - in this way, new levels could also contain new graphics rather than be confined to a list that I make. My plan at the moment is to use several different Picture objects (ten or so, for all sides and corners of platforms) that load their images from "./" + DirName$ + "./imagename.png", where DirName$ can be specified as part of the saved level - each tileset would be stored in its own folder.

The question is - is this a sensible way to do it, or are there any other suggestions?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Externally-stored tiles for level editing

You've probably seen my example http://raytrace.sitesled.com which works in the same way. I prefer this way to other options because it is easy to change tiles and modify levels this way. Also the Picture Object doesn't take barely any memory (unless there is a reading error in the debugger).

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just dredging this up again rather than starting a new topic to give it some context (thanks for the suggestion, by the way - I went for actives with loaded frames in the end, but the idea was much the same).

Are there any suggestions for a way to similarly load a repeating image to be used as the parallax? As far as I know, the BSO/ASO objects don't allow it, and with the technique I'm using above it would take an array of 225 active objects just for the background, which is really a bit much.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The easiest way is to paste an active object into the background and loop its position. You can also use the quick backdrop object but it can't work at runtime.

I'm making an isometric game and I'm trying to find someway of only loading tiles within the cameras range. This would mean only 200 or so tiles are shown at any time.

It would allow for massive map size but code would have to be calculated using formula and a "virtual" map which would mean creating your own collision detection methods and all that stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, why didn't I think of that? That's right - pasting into the background. Dead easy. I'll go and do it now, actually.