Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Get Original Sample Frequency

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get Original Sample Frequency

It would be really good if there was an expression that could get the original frequency of a sound. The reason why this would be useful is because you could then pitch shift sounds relative to their original frequency. Another solution would be an action "Set relative channel frequency".

The problem with pitch shifting sounds directly by their sample rate is that if you make some sounds lower quality than others (to save disk space) then they play at a much higher pitch than the other sounds in your application.

It would be really really cool if this was put into an upcoming patch. Would it be likely that this feature be added to the next patch?

If it is then that will be great, if not it will still be helpful to know so that I can start converting every sample in my game to a unified frequency

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Get Original Sample Frequency

You're probably better off having a uniform frequency for all sounds in your game anyway, but I can see how this feature would be useful...

Perhaps you could keep an array or some other kind of data store, containing the names of each sample and the corresponding initial frequency. I think you'd be able to check against this to look up the frequency for each sample... it's clumsy, though.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I think it's very important that you should be able to set a sample rate that is relative to the original sample rate of a sound - particularly "retrieve channel frequency" would be important, since you don't always know for sure which sample is playing on a specific channel when you use "set channel frequency", if you for example want to raise anything played on that channel one octave.

I have described the problem a bit more here.

After all, it's quite common to use sounds with different sample rates to save space. Yeah, most samples need to be 44100hz to sound good, because If the sample rate is 22050hz, all frequencies above 11025hz will get cut off. At the other hand, that doesn't matter at all with a 400hz sine for example, so why not downsample in that case? And that's where a "retrieve original sample rate" can be useful.

It's a relatively easy feature to add anyway. The original sample rate is something that's very easy to retrieve from a sound, since it's in the header.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Specifically in my game, most sounds are at 22050hz which works fine for most. Enemy voices have a low-fi radio effect, so a considerable amount of space is saved by setting them to 11025hz since they don't need to be hi-fi. The sound of shell casings hitting on the floor uses 44100hz because it really benefeits from the high frequencies for that extra zingy sparkle.

It would be really good to see this feature added, especially since it's not too difficult and also because the functionality of the frequency shift action is crippled without it IMO.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be nice to get a reply from clickteam about this, so if it's a no then I can begin the process of unifying the sound frequencies in my game.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can always pm them. I know this extension developer guy. Forgot his name though. Just pm Jeff.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah another vote for Get Original Sample Frequency!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check the headers of the sound/music files, I think the sample frequencies are stored there. You may be able to extract them using some extension.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PMing would be a good idea. I wanted to see if anyone else actually wanted the feature first before I started badgering them about it :P

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I am sure its on the list for a future update.
    Clickteam reads all threads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast