User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can someone help me iron out my platform engine?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone help me iron out my platform engine?

I have a basic but thoughtful custom platform engine worked out here. Eventually, I want to add things like hanging on ledges, water, smooth slopes, moving platforms, crawling (would involve the detectors being redrawn) etc., but first, I want to work out the issues that are already apparent.

Some of the things I'm hoping to fix are:

• The character sinks too far into the floor, and for a split-second we see the character pixels deep in the floor
    • It's difficult to jump onto ledges that have only one "blocks"' worth of clearance space (hopefully, though, this will be circumvented with ledge hanging/pulling)
    • It may just be my computer, but sometimes when I first initialize it, there's a bit of lag
    • There are some issues with landing, particularly when the player lands on a sharp corner (perhaps the left and right detectors just need to be edited or moved in)

Some things that are going well for this:

• Currently uses no extensions, just MMF2's fast loops
    • The player has horizontal momentum when they jump, thus preventing players from zipping left and right mid-air (though, for the sake of playability, it is possible to alter your direction, you simply won't pick up a lot of speed)
    • In addition, when the player lands after a jump with horizontal momentum, they'll take a few steps by default
    • The player can tell how long he's been falling and has a different animation when he is falling great distances
    • Controlled jump heights - no timed events!
    • Horizontal and vertical motion are stored in the player's Alterable Values
    • It will be very simple to add springboards, horizontal and vertical windchutes, etc.
    • Support for active objects that act as obstacles

Anything anyone can do to help iron out some of the bugs is greatly appreciated. I only ask that you do not take the graphics, but you will get credit when the game sees the light of day. In addition, I want to keep the exact system I have in place in which horizontal and vertical velocity/speed are stored in the player's alterable values, as this will help me add all sorts of features later.

The code is relatively organized and commented.

EDIT:

Oh, yeah. Anyone who wants to learn from this source can do so. There's a lot of good things in there for beginners.
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can someone help me iron out my platform engine?

Man, it runs at 15 fps so far. Maybe you should use less fastloops.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Can someone help me iron out my platform engine?

I agree with Hazard. It's way too slow.

Have you checked out DavidN's platform tutorial? If not, grab it at http://www.clickteam.com/eng/learning_resources.php

It's really good. It's also depended on fastloopps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can someone help me iron out my platform engin

Wow. Mine runs at 55 fps without MIS. There's no way my computer can be that much faster than anybody else's.

Okay, I cut the fastloops down to 100, which is what they were supposed to be at (I typed an extra zero, it appears - heck, the loop is even called "hundred").

I also changed the shape of the bottom detector - I curved it slightly, giving the player a better chance of jumping onto a ledge.

I'm checking out DavidN's tutorial right now. I completely missed that when I was scrolling through the tutorials section.

So here's a much faster one (hopefully). If it's still too slow, please let me know. Apparently, I have a supercomputer (I wish ).

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one seems to run MUCH fast than the previous one (getting 50 Fps solid). Nice engine ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, got a new one. Here's what I've added:

- Removed all of the detectors except the bottom ones. Much better collision detection.
    - Added the ability to hang on ledges and pull yourself onto them.
    - Platforms.
    - Scrolling.
    - Started doing slopes, but I need help making them smoother (right now, going up is difficult, and going down is choppy)
    - Fans that blow you a certain direction.

The controls right now:

Left and right arrows: Move left and right
    Shift: Jump
    Down + Shift: Jump down from platforms
    Up arrow: Pull yourself onto a ledge

If anyone can direct me to a good up and down slope tutorial, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not entirely sure of the purpose of the "Hundred" fastloop - it seems to set the detectors and check for doors 100 times repeatedly without actually moving anything...

Like the hanging from ledges, though!

For ramps, I think you'd need to first detect whether the left/right detectors were overlapping walls, and allow passage past them, moving the player up via a fastloop, if those walls were only x pixels high (you'd need second left/right detectors to do this).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David, thanks for your feedback.

The "Hundred" fastloop is left over from the original, which used a boatload of detectors. It simply serves as a reinforcement for other events, as I found that keeping the loop there greatly reduces the rate at which the player clips through platforms or ground.

What you're suggesting with ramps is pretty similar to something I'm trying now. I need to toy around with the detector sizes and positions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need a lot of help with slopes. I've got a basic detector system going, but there's still a few bugs with it. I've also got blowing fans and springboards going now.

If anybody could help me out, I'd be very appreciative. This is probably the last thing I need help with.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

u have a glitch near the bottom where the fan shoots u up thru the floor
    goog game tho

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast