Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Stuff, Collisions, Moving Animations

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie Stuff, Collisions, Moving Animations

So, hello to you all. I decided to try around with mmf2 a little bit after reading up on it on wikipedia. Now i browsed the forums a bit but did not see anything that had to do with my first two "problems". well they're not real problems, i just wanna know if i'm attempting things right and if there is an easier way to do it (i think there is )

I'm trying to make a little RPG-style game.

First one is: i got a moving animation consisting of two pictures (wow, how smooth) and now my way to display movement on my character is as follows:
    -On my active picture, which is the player character, i defined 5 alterable values (move_up, move_down, move_right, move_left and animation), movement type eight direction with only 4 picked.

-i opened up the event editor, and chose "Upon pressing "right arrow"", new picture (move_right_01) and set all variables except move_right to 0 (it is set to 1).

-now i defined another event: repeat while "right arrow" is pressed, every 00"-25, if move_right=1 and animation=0:
    set animation to 1 and newpicture (move_right_01)

-another event: repeat while "right arrow" is pressed, every 00"-50, if move_right=1 and animation=1:
    set animation to 0 and newpicture (move_right_02)

and all that for every 4 directions. now i wanna know is this a good way to do it? i suppose there must be an easier way in this kind of tool :P

Second question is about collisions:
    To test i made a simple empty room as backdrop and put an active object (bed) in it. now naturally i don't want my character to run through the bed. and now im kinda stuck here. the way i did it (which isn't quite working) is:

-event editor: collison between "bed" and "player + player is facing East -> Set authorised directions to North, South, West
    So this way the character can't move into the object, but also cannot move eastwards ever again i did this with all four directions and added an event to Pressing left, allowing all directions. Now the player can naturally move through the bad if hes coming from the right.

So these are my problems, i hope i am not bothering you guys with this too much, and apologies if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes, english isn't my first language. Thanks in advance for any help, and have a good day

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Newbie Stuff, Collisions, Moving Animations

just click the character and click the running icon in the properties toolbar and assign the character a movement called "eight-directions"

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have my character on movement type "eight-directions" (as stated above), but how this alone will make him display the right animation frames when moving around is beyond me.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, basically if you use the "walking" animation, it should automatically assign the animations to the corresponding directions. I rarely use the built in movements, as they can be a bit buggy. But, if you are a beginner, they are a good thing to start with. You can later browse the forums for instructions about custom movements, but I think the eight-direction movement is not too buggy.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ummm, but where does it take the animations from? i'm totally puzzled now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you use the sprite editor to make your active objects, you just insert the animations to the "walking" thing where you can define every directions with different animation. If you still didn't understand, I can make you an example.

Edit: Well, in any case the example is here.

Oh, and for your second problem: You could just use the "movement - stop" event to make the character stop when colliding in the bed, allowing it to move into an different direction.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah thank you very much my problem was that i used the active picture for the player character so there were no movement or direction options :P i found that you can set background objects as "obstacles" but it seems that this just does nothing. i will try the stop method you mentioned, thanks for your help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem. I'm not a professional myself either, so I like helping with beginners.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay this works perfectly and is much easier than the complicated stuff i was doing before lol. well i guess i'm still too much thinking like a programmer

another short question if you know a way to do this. i'd like to define a border for where my character can move, what would be the best way to do that?. i have for example a room as background, with no objects but the wally inplace (they are part of the background) can i now somehow outline a box for possible movement (like in the tutorial with mouse movement) or can i somehow setup some invisible lines/barriers?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can not outline a box for movement, but you can make the limitation yourself by using invisible active objects and tell the player to bounce if it collides with them. You can also use semi-transparent quick-backdrop obstacles instead of actives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast