User Tag List

Thread: String + display as background quirk

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

String + display as background quirk

I noticed a quirk with a string that had the option "display as background" checked. A not the string overlapping active underneath got partially invisible by changing the string to another paragraph. Lining up with one border of the string.

This second paragraph was not longer than the first one. And, as told, the active didn't even overlap the string, which could be the troublemaker.

I turned off the "display as background" option then. And now it works. But that's a slower way of displaying the string, isn't it?

Sidenote: it is a pain to work with string when using it on an area with a predefined size and several paragraphs. I always have to run the game, enter the needed paragraph, and have a look if it still fits to the field i want to display it at. I hope that there will be a solution for in the future. A way to display different paragraphs of one string in the frame editor would be a fabulous thing to have

MMF2 Dev, latest Build 243

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: String + display as background quirk

Quote Originally Posted by Tiles
    I turned off the "display as background" option then. And now it works. But that's a slower way of displaying the string, isn't it?
    Not really, it depends on what you are doing.

As a background object (when the option is on) it works in the background "layer". Background objects are special as they can be pretty fast if the background doesn't change a bit. But as soon as something in the background changes then the whole screen needs to be redrawn. (mmf2's speed comes from not having to redraw everything all the time so you can imagine that redrawing the whole screen would slow games down).
    The background (and therefore the whole screen) will be forced to redraw itself if you change the string object that is set to be in the background.

On the other hand, if you turn the option off (your string object will work as an active object) they are optimized for changes. If you change the text of your string or reposition it, then only the string object itself (and possible objects overlapping it) will have to be redrawn and is therefore pretty fast.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: String + display as background quirk

Thank you for this explanation. Have no slowdowns because this. Just wanted to ask what's going on

I simply have the feeling that a at the background layered string that doesn't overlap an active shouldn't turn parts of the active to invisible