Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mp3 Encryption?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mp3 Encryption?

1. To create using the Binary Object, load the mp3, set key, encrypt the mp3 and save
    using a deceptive filename. (The original, unprotected mp3 is not to be distributed with your app, just the encrypted version.)

2. To play the mp3, use the Binary Object to load the deceptive filename, set the same key, decrypt and save to a temp file with another deceptive filename.

3. Load that temp file into Direct Show, and then Play.

4. As soon as Direct Show starts to play, delete the temp file with the File Object.

My problem is that I am able to snag that temp file and copy it as long as the music is playing. (Then I rename it to .mp3 and it is playable.)

Is there any way to have Direct Show play an encrypted mp3 without writing an unprotected version to disc?

( I understand that any sound played on a users computer can be recorded but I donít want to make it easy, and I am interested in protecting other files as well. )

Can I read an encrypted file with MMF without writing to disc with a temp file?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Mp3 Encryption?

I've been trying to do this for a long time, and I never found a way. Except one time when for some reason, the temporary file never showed up but still played, but I have no idea how that happened, it was kind of a fluke.

At least you can delete the files once they start playing, with Quicktime movies, they must be kept on the harddisk for the duration. So you just have to hope that they don't alt-tab it while it's playing.

How do they do that in commercial games? (Make it so the movies play without being exposed).

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think commercial games just use different codecs. Or maybe they just decompress it to a Temp directory and make that directory hidden?

As far as decripting while playing... the only thing I could think of would be interperet it some how... I have NO idea how (or if) it can be done though...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with commercial games, most use bink video files, you can convert them using the free decoder but to get the source to put in your own games / apps costs a few thousand

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are you concerned about people being able to get an mp3 (or preferably ogg) file from your application? Nobody have ever got the idea of ripping the songs from my games, despite that the source is available.

Well, I suppose it do make some sense if you actually plan to sell the soundtrack separately (Right now I just give my game soundtracks away for free). But if you sell the soundtrack separately, people will just copy it to each other, rather than try to extract it from the game.

Besides, it's really easy to just sample the soundcard's output. There's usually a "wave out" slider in the recording mixer, and you can just record the sound of that.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Nifflas, it is very easy to record the sounds currently playing on your computer. Even Sound Recorder that ships with Windows can do it. I believe encrypted files have to be decrypted before they can be played. One possibility (and I have not tried this myself so am not saying it will work), is to place the sound file inside a zip file. I noticed that I can access text documents and graphic files from inside a zip file without having ot extract the files. If you could access your sound file from inside the zip file without extracting it, that may work. But since recording sounds is a doddle, your putting yourself through a lot of work to try and protect your music.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dawn of War uses DivX (the SDK is $5000) and the movie files are just lying inside a 'movies' folder, but they won't open up, I suspect they're encrypted. Most PC games don't use Bink. Most console games use bink. Most big PC games use DivX, and some use Bink or Smacker. I've even seen one that uses crappy old Microsoft compressors (Worms 4 mayhem).

Is there any way to make a temporary folder that will destroy itself when the program ends? The problem I have now is if the user ctrl+alt+deletes and kills the program, the unencrypted file is still in the temp folder.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, have a frontend that runs in the background checking for if FILE X has been termited..
    intel indieo is also an old used codec. I have a DVR (digital video recorder) PC with 9 camera inputs, win 95, la-de-dah... the videos are very well encrypted with some kind of indeo codec, VLC is not able to play the videos (this is using a different PC or using it from the DVR in windows media player), nothing is able to read them but right clicking and going to properties shows that it is genuinely indeo, a very clever way they do it and i cannot figure it out. I think it is done so if a DVR is hacked then no-one can view all the footage and destroy any incriminating evidence

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, don't have any advice on this. I just had to reply and agree that going to such lengths to make people spend the extra few minutes and just use Windows Sound Recorder to rip your MP3s really isn't worth it.

If you are worried that people will use your music in their games, you should look into copyright law instead.
    You can't stop them, but you can just ask them not to....+ threaten to take actions against them via laws if they keep claiming your content as their own.

Edit: In fact, spending all this effort is so not worth it, you should instead take a minute and good the story of Sony and their rootkit: "Sony Rootkit" will probably give you a few good reads.
    Here, I did it for you:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia .org%2Fwiki%2F2005_Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_sca ndal&ei=KCj7RdGNEI-KjAHAp8i1DA&usg=__x7O2V8tBKb9dno2ZEKclxkqwBrc=&sig 2=q8onRTS1cY5NPHeQpDUj4Q
    Quote: "As a result, a number of parties have filed lawsuits against Sony BMG; the company ended up recalling all the affected CDs; and greater public attention was drawn to the issue of commercially-backed spyware."

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So in order for MMF to read an encrypted file, that file must be decrypted and saved to disc as a temp file?

Encryption and decryption is actually quick and easy with MMF. Itís learning how to do it and how to properly use it that takes time and trouble. Thatís why I come to the forums.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast